Aug 6, 2013

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130920_125240.png
    ForumRunner_20130920_125240.png
    362.5 KB · Views: 116
  • ForumRunner_20130920_125254.png
    ForumRunner_20130920_125254.png
    328.7 KB · Views: 99
Is that EXACTLY what it says on the button? I can't read anything on your pic. I feel like I've done research on these guys before and they were a large Philadelphia retailer in early 19th C. But of course I can't find anything on them now. Give me the exact wording on the button or a MUCH BETTER pic and I'll check some more.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I found the backmark referenced in a Google Books snippet view of "Just Buttons". I've attached a screenshot of the info. It indicates they were at 184 High. I did find a reference in the 1833 Philadelphia City Directory indexed under Allen at 192 High, also Robert Allen at 184 High. The other directory shot I have included is from 1831 showing Robert Allen at 184 High & 192 High.

Attachments

• allenpettit.jpg
    allenpettit.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 0
That's it the first button of the Three that's amazing THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPNG AND THATS AMAZING ALOT OLDER THEN I WAS EXPECTING WHAT A GREAT FIND.....IT WAS FOUND OUTSIDE OF PURCELLVILLE VIRGINIA THATS AWESOME UNREAL!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
They must have been bought out or went out of business before the Civil War? I don't see anything listed about them in any reference book I have on back-marks. The only Allen I see on back-marks are "ALLIEN" like Horstmann Bros & Allien .. There is a "Allen & Moore" from Britain.. But glad Bamble was able too look that info up thats some good stuff...

Upvote 0
Yeah and it surprised me on the rarity it's definitely a keeper I just appreciate you guys helping me out thank you so much and any more information would be amazing

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back