Alien Puppets, Chicken Whistles, Little Red cars and Big worthless Pesos!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Well I had an interesting day to say the least. Not at all unpleasant, even the weather cooperated for a change. It was still sunny and hot today, but the humidity was way down and there was a nice breeze blowing all day. I got out detecting a local park early this morning and before lunch I had found a few bucks in change (clad) and a HUGE $1000 Peso coin.. *sigh* Sadly it's worth more as a conversation piece than any real monetary value. I found a piece of brazing rod I think.. stamped 50% Tin on one end <shrug>. After finding the Peso coin I headed back to the house to have lunch with my wife, since she was so kind as to let me go detecting this morning in the first place. <grin>
After lunch and a brief siesta (lots of things are ending up in this country huh?). I wrangled not only another short hunt.. and I do mean short.. less than an hour.. I managed to talk my wife into going with me. Well, back at the park I noticed that the tot lot was deserted so I hit that first. Sadly, aside from a red rubber "Alien" finger puppet, a little red car, a "chicken little whistle" and a few pennies and pull tabs, the lot was not very productive. The picnic areas around the tot lot were another story all together though. Junk, pull tabs and lots of pennies, and some more larger denominations . All in all I got 98 coins... just shy of a hundred, again... for a net of $6.80 *not counting the $1000 Peso* Not even a record for me, but still a banner day over all. <smiling>
Here are some pictures.. the whole mess and more of the $1000 Peso teaser. <grin>

August 27th 001.jpg

August 27th 003.jpg

August 27th 004.jpg

HH all !

Frodov

Attachments

• August 27th 001.jpg
    August 27th 001.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 421
  • August 27th 003.jpg
    August 27th 003.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 416
Upvote 0
Down here that 1000 peso is worth about $100. It's a 10 to 1 exchange rate. Of coarse you have to go down by the border to cash it in. Great haul, and keep em coming.

Perfect the alien being run over by car!!!!
Car wins.cool finds.

Hey Frodo, nice finds. Four and a half bucks in quarters ain't too bad my friend! Didn't I hear that the Peso coin was old peso's so Pigguy has to move the decimel place? Anyway, pretty good diggin there guy.

Not sure about the old pesos, the new ones are about a 10 to 1 exchange rate, so if that 1000 peso is still good, it's worth about $100 US. I've heard they don't except the old pesos anymore but I don't know what they concider old. 1989 would seem to be pretty recent. I could be wrong though.

I've not had a chance to look into it further since my last post, but I intend to on my next day off. I'll have to research the date that the Mexican government did this big Devaulation, to see where this coin falls. Either way, I think it's a neat coin, and even if it's on the new side of the devaluation, I may keep it instead of cashing it in anyway. <smile>

Thanks again.. HH all.

Frodov

Believe it or not, there are some stores and one pizza place here in Austin, TX where they will accept Mexican pesos, because of the big population of illegals here. In my books, it's just not right.

Grats on a good day ! I'm glad your getting cooler weather , it should
be here in another day or so :P
Keep on swingin and postin ;)

Doozis

Nice going on that Tot Lot. It seems to me that a few days back someone else said the exchange rate was about $90 for that 1000 p. If so, a 100 dollar day ain't bad for just a few hours of fun...... HH

Desertfox

According to the website http://coinmill.com/MXN_MXP.html, the Mexican Peso was revalued Jan. 1, 1993. That makes yours the old Peso. The revaluation was 100 old to 1 new. Your old Peso is 10 new Pesos and the current exchange rate is $.09, so you have 90 cents. I have found these before, too. They are interesting and I put them in the display box with all the other foreign coins.

Scott

uh its old pesos sadly -- they revalued the old pesos it was 100 to 1 --- so its worth 10 "new" peso's --- new pesos are >09< cents each currently so -- 90 cents in us money -- lots of places in mexico will not take the "old pesos" by the way --- Ivan ;)

Hey bluegrass man...that $1000 peso may be worth only 90 cents, but it's really cool and Id' keep it in the collection. Nice finds btw.

BPMM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back