Alabama Volunteer Corps

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, here's my finds from the last two outings, the site was heavily used both during the colonial era as well as the Civil War and that's the reason in most of my posts, you'll see a mix of both. There's the normal items that you find on a Civil War site; bayonet scabbard tips, bullets, eagle buttons, canteen spouts and then there's the prize of the hunt, a pretty Confederate Alabama Volunteer Corps button. A button I wasn't sure I had until getting home to clean it. I could tell it had that 'look' to it, but didn't know exactly what it was until cleaning.

Uncleaned:

10934919105_2272087512_z.jpg

Cleaned:
10951564285_59914f2867_c.jpg
10952643643_f764a944d0_b.jpg

10952026093_cf476de9b2_b.jpg

Brass Lock Slide with Cresent and Star and a nice dropped Civil War 'Country Picket' Bullet
10951965733_eb353db770_c.jpg

This rosette was actually found last week BUT I didn't get a closeup shot of it for you guys. It's pretty cool because its still attached to part of the bridal bit
10951919255_986e129722_c.jpg

Intact Cufflink
10951682936_b111e36770_c.jpg
10951862913_6aeb5d5148_c.jpg

10951919053_9d56b2787b_z.jpg

Bayonet Scabbard tips, canteen spout and friction primer
10951756154_87af0d66e2_c.jpg

Bullseye Rosette probably used by the Confederate troops in the camp....along with some various buttons and camp relics
10951714425_a1d5d408e5_b.jpg

Alabama Volunteer Corps Button (still has the ringlet attached)
(button isn't completely cleaned yet, but as you see from the photos, it has a good amount of gilt left)
10876490223_d01ecf96b8_c.jpg

10876263665_424d03503a_c.jpg

10951695776_41a4157329_z.jpg

10952294093_3386bf49ae_z.jpg
[/size]​

[/FONT][/COLOR]​

Last edited:
Upvote 6
I like it all! I found a rosette just like yours some time back. That button is SWEET. Great stuff!

sometimes I think that whole war was just a ploy to get all the relics in the south

how much for a couple civ bullets?

I like it all! I found a rosette just like yours some time back. That button is SWEET. Great stuff!

Thanks my friend, did you find a colonial rosette or the bullseye rosette? I've always enjoyed the different styles of rosettes from both periods. Good luck and HH :icon_thumright:

sometimes I think that whole war was just a ploy to get all the relics in the south

:laughing7: Now THAT's funny JG. Thanks for that

:occasion14: :occasion14:

Last edited:
Incredible finds. I know you have to be careful about disclosing location but sure would love to know what kind of site gave up that mix ha ha. Betting an old church or school that had a CW camp around it. Maybe home. Maybe spring, maybe a site on a creek or river, maybe CW camp where colonial house had been prior, Maybe I better hush.:laughing7:

Wow. Now THAT'S a killer, KILLER day! Congrats. And that button is once in a lifetime for most of us . . .

Sentinal,
Congrats on your finds, especially the "AVC'S" I found two this past winter, to me there Beautiful Buttonsthe twins.jpg
And I'm told rare around this part of Georgia.

Wow, two killer days. That had to be a blast, and what a mix. Great button...

Bullseye Josh. Were they fairly common?

Well they aren't as common to find as the colonial rosette's around here. They are attributed to Southern troops most often though that isn't always the case. In the instance of this site, I do believe it to be the case as the majority of the buttons from this location have been Confederate.

Sentinal,
Congrats on your finds, especially the "AVC'S" I found two this past winter, to me there Beautiful ButtonsView attachment 904046
And I'm told rare around this part of Georgia.

Yes they're certainly not a Confederate button you find everyday. They're were a ton of battles fought in Georgia from Chickamauga to Atlanta so that doesn't surprise me that you found them there. It's been a couple years since the last A.V.C. I dug. You'll dig many Block I's and A's, South Carolinas, North Carolinas, Georgias and Virginias before you find the Alabama Volunteer Corps...in most cases. What makes this one so special however, is the fact that it still retains a ringlet, something scarcely seen.

great AVC button. now you need to dig an AVC plate to go with it

Wow, two killer days. That had to be a blast, and what a mix. Great button...

Thanks Artyfacts, yes this is a pretty pristine site and represents two 8 hour days of digging.

great AVC button. now you need to dig an AVC plate to go with it

Haha yeah good luck with that, an AVC plate would be like hitting the PICK SIX jackpot...I've been digging for 25 years and have only seen 2 dug in all that time; an amazingly rare artifact to find.

That's it I'm moving to Virginia! A day like that here we would have a heart attack. Awesome button, hope to find one myself one day.

Congrats on your ton of finds! You've seen 2 dug AVC plates but how many winning pick 6 tickets have you seen? With MD'ing you never know, HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back