Airline Regulations for metal detectors

If you check the luggage it will not be a problem.
Be sure to take the batteries out.
They REALLY don't like anything that buzzes of vibrates, and if
it accidentally turns on it could set off an alarm.
You can probably NOT take it on carry-on luggage, as it contains
a transmitter.

There is no problem taking your detector. I take mine as carry on though in a duffle. If you check it I would not use the original box. Go to the thrift store and get one of theose old hard side suitcases, wrap the detector parts in bubble wrap if you are going to check it because you know it's going to get tossed around.

Ohio Jerry said:
Hi all,anyone know anything about flying with a metal detector? I'm heading for key west for a long weekend next month and wondering if i can just package my dfx up in the original box with some digging tools and check it in? thanks!
Jerry
It will help some if you include a treasure/metal detecting magazine especially one that may either feature your detector or have an ad for it, so that if anything comes up you can use it as reference.

Let me tell you a funny story that your question reminded me of although I was not flying. I was crossing into Canada from the US at Vermont and we were stopped at the border. The Canadian official who was looking inside our station wagon saw my metal detector and asked what it was. After being told and that it was mine, I was asked to accompany him into their office and to bring my detector. My heart started racing 'cause I thought I was going to be detained possibly being thought of as a terrorist.

The men behind the counter wanted to show ME their hand-held wand detector! We all had a good laugh when I told them of my fears and then I did a demo with mine, including holding it to one the men's mouth as he had a gold tooth! They were impressed when it beeped as I scanned his mouth. I did their coins and my coins, etc. The fact that my detector had an expanded meter and was accurate really had them buzzing.

You can't have that much fun in an airport!

Silver Fox

No problems taking a detector on a plane, I packed mine in my suitcase. Just make sure it is clean, LOL. HH, Mike

I've only flown twice with mine. Got it in a rifle case with Minelab stickers on the outside and one of those little locks that TSA can open. Oh, yeah a tip from a friend was to put the instruction manual inside so the first thing they see is the manual in case they can't figure out what a detector is. Haven't had any problems yet (he says as he's knocking on wood!)

The shaft must also get sent in the checked luggage and not carried on. I would never pack my detector in my checked luggage. Too much gets stolen. Never a problem to carry on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back