Air to Ground Projectile? Could It Be?

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been hunting an awesome area for the last three years. There were many battles in and around my home in Nara Japan. I have found more than 100 bronze coins (some imported from China and others bitasen or Japanese origin). Most of my coin finds are from a 16th century campsite that was used during a very long castle siege. I have recovered 5 Yoroi no kohaze (fasteners used exclusively for samurai armor) four male, one female.
However this modern projectile has me scratching my head. It was found on a high hill that was littered with iron. I sometimes find shotgun shells but even those are rare in a country where simply owning a gun requires jumping through hoops while juggling. What is not clear in the pics is that it is slightly flattened near the nose end as if it were fired and skipped on dirt or turf. Could this be a US air to ground bullet? We do live within the bombing range of US planes after the fall of Saipan. It is encrusted but the dimensions are length about 59mm (2.3inches). diameter about 13mm (half inch). The little concavitie at the base is about 8mm (.3 inch).
Also, is this thing explosive? I am scared to clean it.
Thanks to all!
Dave
modern projectile.JPGproj 1.JPGproj 2.JPGproj 3.JPG

Non explosive... put it in a tumbler if you like.

Upvote 0
Sitting on the train with my iPhone. Can't seem to be able to green check it. I will mark it solved soon as I get back home to the pc. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
The 13.2 was made in a few different types, including tracer and incendiary. I doubt that yours is either of those and is more likely the solid core armor piercing round.

Upvote 0
Hey NOLA Ken, you sure are knowledgable about armaments.
Concerning incendiary and tracer types, how are they constructed? I suspect the tracer type would have some sort of sulphur tip? Incendiary sounds dangerous.
Do you agree with G.I.B. that it is not explosive? Also if it is safe to clean, could I identify the specific type?

Upvote 0
Incendiary rounds and tracer rounds are loaded with phosphorus, Tracers have a small amount of it loaded into the base of the bullet which lights up as it leaves the barrel. Incendiary rounds are designed to ignite on impact. They can be dangerous to handle if they are live and seriously corroded because if you break them open or crack them the phosphorus can ignite and cause some nasty burns. As far as cleaning it, I wouldn't. It's in nice relic condition to display, and they don't really have any value anyway (maybe around 1$ but that's probably pushing it) so all that cleaning will do is remove all that character that's built up on it over the years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Ken.
It's "value" is more than a buck for me. Haven't sold a relic, coin, peice of gold, bottle or sign yet. I'll leave that to my posterity. Wife only wishes i would though. If I ever need an arms expert, I'll look you up bro. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back