K800_007.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 116
  • K800_006.JPG
    K800_006.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 107
  • K800_004.JPG
    K800_004.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 97
From the design of the mold cavity it looks to be for the CW-era Colt .44, both round and conical bullets, but I'm not an expert on molds. Nice piece to have in any case, as it's in good shape and would go real well with most CW collections. Make sure to tell your friend "Thanks" if you run into him again.

Upvote 0
From the design of the mold cavity it looks to be for the CW-era Colt .44, both round and conical bullets, but I'm not an expert on molds. Nice piece to have in any case, as it's in good shape and would go real well with most CW collections. Make sure to tell your friend "Thanks" if you run into him again.

Don't know if I'll ever get back that way again,was the BEST place I ever lived!!!

Upvote 0
It is definitely a civil war era Colt .44 bulletmold for casting the "New-Model" of Colt revolver bullets. See photo below showing the specific version of .44 bullet your mold would make.

Something unusual about your bulletmold is that it never had the "sprue-cutter" which was attached to bulletmolds manufactured by the Colt company. The handles are shaped differently than on the Colt-made mold. Also, the holes for pouring lead into the mold are crude irregular openings, instead of neatly circular like on the Colt Company's version. See the other photo below (which includes Colt's patent-marking). Those three differences make me wonder whether your bulletmold might be a Confederate imitation of Colt's mold.

Attachments

• bullet_pistol_Colt44NewModel_manufactured-by-WHMason_T&Tbullet34_photobyHenrique_2-1.jpg
    bullet_pistol_Colt44NewModel_manufactured-by-WHMason_T&Tbullet34_photobyHenrique_2-1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 96
  • bulletmold_44ColtPatent_1850s_with-sprue-cutter_topview_TN_postedbyBosnMate.jpg
    bulletmold_44ColtPatent_1850s_with-sprue-cutter_topview_TN_postedbyBosnMate.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0
It is definitely a civil war era Colt .44 bulletmold for casting the "New-Model" of Colt revolver bullets. See photo below showing the specific version of .44 bullet your mold would make.

Something unusual about your bulletmold is that it never had the "sprue-cutter" which was attached to bulletmolds manufactured by the Colt company. The handles are shaped differently than on the Colt-made mold. Also, the holes for pouring lead into the mold are crude irregular openings, instead of neatly circular like on the Colt Company's version. See the other photo below (which includes Colt's patent-marking). Those three differences make me wonder whether your bulletmold might be a Confederate imitation of Colt's mold.
It looks like the sprue cutter was broken off. The hole for the screw is still there.

Upvote 0
I noticed that the hole for the sprue cutter's slide-screw is there. But the sideview photo of the mold shows there isn't any room for the sprue cutter at the top of the mold's hinge pin. However, the hinge-pin's "head" looks crudely formed. Perhaps the original hinge-pin broke, and was crudely replaced, leaving off the sprue cutter.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back