Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
High grass and foliage has take over my woods and fields, so I'm deciding to venture to water hunting. . Looking for something that I can give a little kick to drive into gravel bars without destroying it. Any advice on a good quality scoop with limited funds? Perhaps something under $100?
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Look up RTG scoops on the internet. If your budget is around $100 bones, you can get a decent stainless steel scoop for around that. Here's one for $110.00

image-2240535473.jpg

It's light weight and will stand up to your foot pushing into gravel and rock. Hope this helps. Good luck and happy hunting. IGH

Since saltwater isn't going to be an issue, locate a length of 6" galvanized tubing and have someone weld you a 3/8" piece of galvanized pipe in the shape of the old Miller scoops (you can look these up online). When I lived in Indiana this is all we used, extremely tough, lightweight, and the Miller style handle provides a lot of leverage. This also allows you to drill your own holes and we always added/cut a 3/4" serrated edge into the bottom lip of our scoops to help with rocks and gravel. $25 - $50 and you're done and this scoop will really take some abuse. :thumbsup:

-
Here is some good info here about detecting rivers.

Metal Detecting in Rivers??? Need your help!

Also, depending on the size of the gravel, a pull scoop like this would be easier to scoop medium to large gravel. Then dump it on the bank or in a floating inner tube sifter. If the gravel is to large it will not sift out well of a regular beach scoop and pulling gravel is easier then trying to push a scoop with your foot in to gravel.

This scoop is 18 ga $40+shipping
Bucket Digger
scoop.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info everyone. I've read each post and investigating which route I'd like to go.

Look up RTG scoops on the internet. If your budget is around $100 bones, you can get a decent stainless steel scoop for around that. Here's one for $110.00

View attachment 1004870

It's light weight and will stand up to your foot pushing into gravel and rock. Hope this helps. Good luck and happy hunting. IGH

Thats the one I have. Its a beast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back