Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my way home from the drugstore yesterday I spotted a guy coming out of an older house (I always drive through the old neighborhoods hoping for just such an opportunity) and quickly pulled over to chat it up with him. He was really nice and gave me permission to hunt the yard.

The yard has been stripped of the grass and is down to just sandy dirt. There are literally hundreds of green and blue marbles visible and he said he has picked up a large bucketful already, but they just keep emerging. Very odd.

It was a pretty small yard as is typical for the area, and only took me about an hour and a half to search it slowly and carefully. I got 14 wheat cents (most ever in a single hunt), a Rosie, a Mexican 10 centavos, an AA token (I think), another good luck token (this one has no embossing on it), a plastic gunslinger and two whatsits. I had to do electrolysis on a few of the pennies to get the crust off to see the dates.
22Nov2023 #1.jpeg

If anyone knows what those curlycue things are I'd like to hear. They look familiar but I can't place them.
22Nov2023 #2.jpeg
22Nov2023 #3.jpeg

A shot of surface marbles. The whole yard was like this.
IMG_6159.jpeg

Upvote 31
Congrats on the hunt, that's a pile of Wheats for one yard.
Somebody sure spilled the marble collection, that's so strange.
I'm wondering if those items are some sort of early tar paper tacks (roofing tacks)

you did GREAT !! Thanks for showing us

I dont like the look of that one handed dude waving a pistol around....oh wait it's just a guy metal detecting lol
I like the way you get permissions and what they produce...good hunt!
Thanks Ironhorse, I've a had pretty poor success rate with door knocking. Catching somebody outside it's easy to tell right away if they're too busy to chat, and check their demeanor when approaching them. Much less stressful to me.

Thanks Ironhorse, I've a had pretty poor success rate with door knocking. Catching somebody outside it's easy to tell right away if they're too busy to chat, and check their demeanor when approaching them. Much less stressful to me.
Every permission I got is when I see somebody outside in their yard. I'll stop and ask and it's work out pretty good that way for me getting permissions.

On my way home from the drugstore yesterday I spotted a guy coming out of an older house (I always drive through the old neighborhoods hoping for just such an opportunity) and quickly pulled over to chat it up with him. He was really nice and gave me permission to hunt the yard.

The yard has been stripped of the grass and is down to just sandy dirt. There are literally hundreds of green and blue marbles visible and he said he has picked up a large bucketful already, but they just keep emerging. Very odd.

It was a pretty small yard as is typical for the area, and only took me about an hour and a half to search it slowly and carefully. I got 14 wheat cents (most ever in a single hunt), a Rosie, a Mexican 10 centavos, an AA token (I think), another good luck token (this one has no embossing on it), a plastic gunslinger and two whatsits. I had to do electrolysis on a few of the pennies to get the crust off to see the dates.
View attachment 2116592

If anyone knows what those curlycue things are I'd like to hear. They look familiar but I can't place them.
View attachment 2116593View attachment 2116594

View attachment 2116595
How did you clean those wheats? Or do they just come out of the ground shiny in your area?

If anyone knows what those curlycue things are I'd like to hear.
They remind me of the holder for those circular bug repellant doodads my mom used to keep the mosquitos at bay. The doodad was green, and you would burn it.

Mosquito_coil.JPG

But, after looking them up, it was clearly a different holder.

View attachment 2116592

View attachment 2116593View attachment 2116594

View attachment 2116595
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

That's a pretty awesome yard, don't believe I've dug 14 in a day ever either! Those marbles are bizarre. You did this on Thanksgiving?
Nope, the day before. I wouldn't dream of pestering people on Thanksgiving. That would make ME the turkey! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back