A Wonderful Weekend Hunt

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
I enjoyed participating in my very first hunt this weekend! ?Morris invited me up to his club's open hunt in Ocala; about an hour's drive north of my home. ?I met a lot of wonderful people and had a great time swapping stories, talking techniques and machines... and sharing thoughts that otherwise are often met with confused stares and quizzical expressions!
There were 2 parts; the first a speed hunt which consisted of 200 buried pennies to be found in about 40 minutes and the second was a "Keep What You Find" that was chock full of buried goodies. It was very friendly - the ground was grass covered soft sand (Hey, we're in Florida!) but the weather ws incredibly hot and sticky.... again, Hey! We're in Florida!
I was glad to have the chance to see how well I might fare in competition with other more seasoned detectorists and I'm pleased to say that I think I did OK. ?In the first hunt, I tied with 2 other guys for 17 pennies; the best was 53 and I think there were only 2 more who had a better count than our 3-way-tie.
We stopped for a fabulous BBQ between hunts and hurried toward the last because an afternoon storm was quickly approaching. ?The followig pics show my spoils; the Morgan came out of the ground at the very last moment before we cut the hunt short and ran for cover. ?My detector told me there was at least a half, if not a dollar, in the ground - and I was darned if I was going to let the threat of a little old lightning scare me away before I pocketed that coin! ?I thought the two Civil War bullets were pretty wonderful, too... The pennies are wheats, the dime is a 1944 and believe you can read the rest.
Ruth

Attachments

• Hunt Collection.jpg
    Hunt Collection.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 447
  • 1890 Dollar Front.jpg
    1890 Dollar Front.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 444
Upvote 0
WOW!! Great Hunt SainSea. Sounds like fun and Something everyone should try and do. (except Omni) :D HH

Nice Finds RUTH ;

Congrats !

Jeff

Excellet job, Ruth! Sounds like a real fun time and a great learning experience, along with meeting new friends. WTG!

I only participated in one club hunt so far and they are tougher than you'd think. There's just so much competition! My goal was to win a big prize.....but it ain't that easy! In future club hunts I will set my sights a little lower. My goal will be to have a good time and if I am lucky recoup my entry fees! Glad you did well, that's a beautiful Morgan too! That's how I got my one and only silver dollar. JIM

I only participated in one club hunt so far and they are tougher than you'd think. ?There's just so much competition! ?My goal was to win a big prize.....but it ain't that easy! ?In future club hunts I will set my sights a little lower. ?My goal will be to have a good time and if I am lucky recoup my entry fees! ?Glad you did well, that's a beautiful Morgan too! That's how I got my one and only silver dollar. ?JIM

Great job saintsea!! I have to try one of these sometime.It sounds like a REALLY great time.WTG!!

Nice finds, sounds fun!

HH

Lonewolfe

Wow Ruth!!!!

Way ta go!!!!

Awesome finds!!!

;)

Congrats Ruth on your successful first club hunt ! And enjoying the hobby with some new friends. Thanks for sharing.

Huntin' 59er

Way to go Ruth. They would have found me dead with my detector in my hand before I would leave a solid dollar signal.. Congrats...Lance

It looks like you did a lot better than ok. Looks like you kicked some lower posteriors out there. WTG!!! HH

Good you had a good time and scored some silver SS! I'm coming back to the states to visit the family and there is a hunt about 1 hr from my house, I might attend. I know about those blank stares, most Germans where I am don't even know what I am doing when they see me detecting. HH, Mike

I think you'll enjoy it Mike. Especially getting to talk to some of the "old timers" who have been at the hobby about as long as you've been alive! This weekend one guy was sharing with me that he got his first detector in 1-9-6-7! No kidding! He said that it had a large wooden frame/box under the "coil" and it weighed a ton... Jeez... we sure have come a looooong way. So, go, just to get the knowing nods and the smiles from other strange folks like ourselves... and welcome back to the U.S. of A even if it's just for a visit!
Ruth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back