bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, a detecting buddy of mine, that I just met a little over a month ago, hooked me up with this wooded spot he's been doing a couple of times. It's a great site with old foundations, bottle dumps, colonial trash, and supposedly had a CW campsite on it. He said that other people have told him that it's been hammered over the years, but as you can see nothing is ever really hunted out.

These past two days have done pretty well for me. My very first target on Saturday was the artillery shell fragment. That's a first for me since I don't dig iron too often unless I know I'm in a CW area. A little later that day I found another first for me-- a CW Maine button. It's flattened pretty good, but I was still able to determine what it was through my military button book. WooHoo!!

The next day, I was getting pretty skunked for several hours and then practically one after another I found the very ornate shoe buckle, the 43 Merc, the silvered spoon that has 4 letters engraved on it,(was also able to date this spoon from 1847-55 from makers mark),the crazy door knocker looking thing with the guy in the stockade holding flowers. Check out the hand holding the whole thing. Is this a knocker or some kind of rein piece for a stagecoach or something? Anyone know? After that was the 3 ringer bullet and then the 1833 Large Cent that was sticking up sideways half out of the ground in an artificial mound. I'm gonna go tear into this mound. Where there's one large Cent there's usually more.

I better leave this area alone for awhile or my buddys gonna be ticked off at all of my finds and not take me anywhere else, lol.

Oh, I also confirmed that at least one Maine regiment was here in a major battle and follow up battles pursuing the Confederates.

Attachments

• everything.jpg
    everything.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 547
  • Maine button.jpg
    Maine button.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 545
  • ShoeBuckle.jpg
    ShoeBuckle.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 547
  • 1833LC.jpg
    1833LC.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 550
  • 43merc.jpg
    43merc.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 548
Upvote 0
some more pics

Attachments

• Facechina.jpg
    Facechina.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 541
  • shellfrag..jpg
    shellfrag..jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 545
  • shellfrag.jpg
    shellfrag.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 550
  • stockade...jpg
    stockade...jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 554
  • stockade..jpg
    stockade..jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 547
  • stockade.jpg
    stockade.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 546
  • fancymetal.jpg
    fancymetal.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 554
I like that pottery shard it is a creepy moment frozen in time. I expected the Guy to turn and look at me! Congrats on the good keepers

Lol, that actually made me chuckle pretty loudly. He is kinda creepy isn't he?

yo B

From the land of the Bluenose.....gud read youz and i see a silver amoungst the hodge podge of goodies you dug up. Gut dat right me bouy as no place is ever truely dug out! Nice outing!

While you guys were checking out the creepy chinese guy, I was busy checking out the big knocker.

Ok, someone had to say it. Get on with it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back