A Variety of Fossils for ID Help - From Florida Beaches

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
I think the one of the left is part of an antler. Top right I think is a vertebrae but I don't have any idea what kind. And the two little ones, I think are some kind of tooth, but am not sure.

Two photos show part of my hand to give you an idea of the size of the items.

Thanks for any info to help ID these.

Attachments

• boltfossil 005.jpg
    boltfossil 005.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 453
  • boltfossil 006.jpg
    boltfossil 006.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 669
  • boltfossil 007.jpg
    boltfossil 007.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 556
It is important in identifying mammal teeth to show the occlusal or grinding surface of the teeth.

I think you have a basal part of a deer antler and a Tilly bone (the donut-like thing).

Maybe you have a xenarthran canine and an equid horse molar . . . need better images of those teeth.

I added photos of the two grinding ends of the possible teeth.

IndianRiverSonrise said:
I think the one of the left is part of an antler. Top right I think is a vertebrae but I don't have any idea what kind. And the two little ones, I think are some kind of tooth, but am not sure.

Two photos show part of my hand to give you an idea of the size of the items.

Thanks for any info to help ID these.

Attachments

• grind 002.jpg
    grind 002.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 334
  • grind 003.jpg
    grind 003.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 335
I think these last two teeth are from a capybara, Hydrochaerus holmesi. On the left is an incisor; on the right, is a beach-polished section of an upper molar (M3).

The incisor should have fine striations in the enamel on the front (outside of the curve) of the tooth.

capybara composite.jpg

Harry Pristis said:
I think these last two teeth are from a capybara, Hydrochaerus holmesi. On the left is an incisor; on the right, is a beach-polished section of an upper molar (M3).

The incisor should have fine striations in the enamel on the front (outside of the curve) of the tooth.

That is a new one for me. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back