A super whats it???? Help ID please

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
This looks like the back off of a locket or a watch. It is 14K and has a bad case of desert varnish But yes it is a thin piece of gold.
It is reeded on the edge like a coin and is very thin. The inside side looks to have had something attached,
thanks in advance for your help

OD

100_0985 a.jpg

100_0986 a.jpg

Hey OD,
Is it marked as 14K? It looks alot like a blank coin planchet, but that wouldn't have a carat marking.
I found a blank silver dollar planchet, and it looks fairly similar. What part of Colorado are you in?
I know there was some private gold coin mintage going on in the mid 1800's, and that could be one
of thier blanks before stamping. Nice find!!!

HH Slabman

Upvote 0
Slabman,

Yes it's marked. it also has a ridge on one side to fit into or have something fit into it.
Like the works cover inside a watch that is independent of the casenot hinged onto it.
My only note of couriosity is it looks as though something was attached to that side like a tin-type or something.

OD

Upvote 0
Thom, in the bottom pic of yout 1st post, it looks like some sort of adhesive had been applied to the outer edge (because if its lighter coloring). Could it have been a trim/covering added to a compact or pillbox?
Also, the side-pic (edge) of it looks like one side is flat, and the other has a slight taper to it.

Smitty

Upvote 0
Thanks guys I believe we are choosing to go with a watch cover.

We did have some outside input from a jeweler yesterday after I posted who noted also the pressure fitting as if a watch cover.

Thanks again for your help.

OD

Upvote 0
Indy,
I was noticing that as well, and that is the side that goes on the insire too.

Mackaydon,
That is where we decided to go with it.
Very old to have collected the desert varnish.
There is some very cool stuff coming out of this area. though,
Nothing would surprise me after this one.
Sure would like to know the history of this site.

Thanks guys

Thom
OD

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back