A spoon I know, but why so thin?

BomberJohn

Apr 6, 2008
North Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac
A coworker came to me today, knowing I am into MDing and historical items, to see if I could date a spoon he unearrthed. It was found in Maine. It is 3 5/8" (92mm) in length, about .030" (0.75mm) thick. It is stamped out of a sheet of brass I assume. The back is a negative image of the front.

Why would it be so thin? Could it have been a child's toy?

IMG_4427.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4425.jpg

IMG_4422.jpg

I would appreciate the help IDing it better.

HH
John

I'm guessing it is a bonbon spoon. It may have been included in a box of candy. That is why it is so thin (single use).

Candy stores and makers used to put tongs in the boxes, too. They allow you to serve without putting your grubby paws on the chocolates or melty chocolate on your fingers.

A number of bonbon tongs have been posted on T-net over the last couple years. I suggest you look at the "Shark Pit" postings to see some of them.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
The size and shape suggest a salt spoon. Most of this shape are 4" or less in length and the channels allowed for the salt to come off the spoon in a more controlled manner.

Daryl

Upvote 0
I'm with Daryl. I've seen this type spoon on here before and it was identified as a salt spoon. Monty

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone. Still trying to confirm what kind of spoon this is. And the thin flimsy construction is making me think it might have been a kid's toy spoon or one time use item. It is so thin and it is stamped out of a thin sheet of metal (which appears to be brass in a couple spots).

John

Upvote 0
Salt's not heavy and a full-size salt spoon is 3 3/4" long.

Thin and delicate is also a sign of fineness. Cheap stuff tends to be thick and clunky while more refined things are thin and/or delicate. Go figure.

Daryl

Upvote 0
old school type item -- very delicate --not for the common class rough handling folk * really --- folks that used such nonsense type devices often had all day to do stuff --wealthy do nothing sorts , so slow motion and delicate stuff meant "upper crust" posh life style in the old victorian class way of thinking.---working class people "rushed" about and had heavy "use" eating items

Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
old school type item -- very delicate --not for the common class rough handling folk * really --- folks that used such nonsense type devices often had all day to do stuff --wealthy do nothing sorts , so slow motion and delicate stuff meant "upper crust" posh life style in the old victorian class way of thinking.---working class people "rushed" about and had heavy "use" eating items

With all due respect, if this is an item for the wealthy and elite, why is it brass? Wouldn't it be silver?

I still think that it is a complimentary chocolate box serving spoon.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
that is possible it might be chocolate tongs matt -- because until hersey made "cheap" chocolates for the common man --chocolates were generally for upper crust types by and large --thus the danty serving tongs to keep the chocolate from getting on your hands ( and thus maybe your dress) --I mean stained clothing --really how "low class" :wink:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back