A seal? from the house from Cingos: the family Cingos (Portugal)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seal from a custom house CASA DOS CINCOS (Portugal)

Object Name -----------Seal from the custom house CASA DOS CINCOS
Type ---------------------Official custom seal
Datering -----------------15th-18th century
Material ------------------Silver coated Lead
Text Obverse ------------D A C A S A * D O S C I N G S ? (?=start or makers mark)
--------------------------- DA CASA * DOS CINGOS
--------------------------- The (custom) house from Cingos
Text Reverse ------------ The seal of Portugal
Mass (gram) ------------- 16.42
Measurement (mm) ----- 32.5 x 20
Find Place ---------------- Netherland

Remarks The obverse has in the middle a Tudor rose.
From Portugaal although the same "coat of arms" with a "low crown ' cannot be found.
On the reverse of the seal is the Portuguese 'coa' seal with a crown above the text.
The question mark seems to be a start point from the text or a makers mark.
The two round disks or seals are pushed and melted together.
Then there is an little odd seal on top of the object, but unkown what the purpose it had.
The photograph does not show the beauty of the object, it is much nicer in person.

Attachments

• Seal of Da Casa Dos Cingos-1_resize.jpg
    Seal of Da Casa Dos Cingos-1_resize.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I think it is Casa Dos Cincos which from what I determine from preliminary research is a legal reference to tax import customs fees? A tax seal?

CASA DOS CINCOS - Âmbito Jurídico

CASA DOS CINCOS

Repartição em que se pagava o imposto de sisa, sobre as fazendas importadas por terra ou chegadas através das alfândegas de portos secos.

CASA of Fives

Breakdown as you paid the transfer tax on farms or imported by land arrivals through customs of dry ports.
Definition posted by: Team Scope Legal

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A tax seal makes sense to me. I was thinking off a wine bottle. Maybe one imported? I have seen seals like it from wine before.

Upvote 0
Thanks Bramblefind for your research. I will take it into consideration for sure, a tax seal.
Duggap, a tax seal for wine, hmm.. well I don't really think that could be it. Just look at the seal, it very complicated and difficult to produce. And it's silver plated; it would have to be a very expensive wine for such a seal. Not counting it out Duggap but I will also take your idea into consideration, for sure.

Thanks both of you. What I am waiting for is any idea what or who the family Cingos was. I have tried to find a metal detecting forum in Portugal, but have not had any sucess. I think if we find the family we will know what the did or produced.

Upvote 0
I don't think there is a family related to it at all. It is a customs stamp for "Casa Dos Cincos" which is a Portuguese customs house. They collected import and export duties on products for the Kingdom.

I'm not able to figure out more details as to what types of items it regulated but google "Casa Dos Cincos" and you will find references.

Upvote 0
Thanks Bramblefind, I understand now. Will take you up on your google item. I was just going by what the 'dutch' people found, but this sounds better because of the quality and largeness of the seal. That could be the reason why I could not find anything on the family!

Upvote 0
I'm sure there is more information on it out there somewhere. I just need to brush up on my Portuguese. :laughing7:

It is a wonderful find!

Upvote 0
I'm sure there is more information on it out there somewhere. I just need to brush up on my Portuguese. :laughing7:

It is a wonderful find!
Where or why did you ever learn Portuguese (or did you marry one just like me with the dutch girls?)....

Upvote 0
I received some good information from jagodes who has found some information in Portugal.

Seal from a custom house with name CASA DOS CINCOS which was in existance from the 15th to the 18th century.
The Custom House was a most important custom houses and headed by ALMOXARIFE.
In that period there was much trading between Portugal and Holland, which is the reason it was found in Holland.

Thanks very much jagodes for your research!

Upvote 0
I think it is Casa Dos Cincos which from what I determine from preliminary research is a legal reference to tax import customs fees? A tax seal?

CASA DOS CINCOS - Âmbito Jurídico

CASA DOS CINCOS

Repartição em que se pagava o imposto de sisa, sobre as fazendas importadas por terra ou chegadas através das alfândegas de portos secos.

CASA of Fives

Breakdown as you paid the transfer tax on farms or imported by land arrivals through customs of dry ports.
Definition posted by: Team Scope Legal

Yeap these seals were not only used to show the quality & quantity of the goods (normally seals of the companies involved) but that the duties had been paid, so that makes sense.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back