A Record Day!

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
...for pulltabs ;D. Dropped my "Munchkin" off at school this morning and headed to the river banks that I've been itching to hunt. Had the whole place to myself (SERENITY NOW!!!) save for one fisherman. Had some more rain last night and the soil was very cooperative with me this morning. The "Hunter of Bounty" was giving me solid signals at ten inches and I dug damn near every single one! Today was the day I learned why pulltabs absolutely suck. I bet I dug and eyeballed about 70 but I only kept the choicest specimens for my collection :wink:. The rest hit the garbage can along with about twenty screwtops and many, many pieces of glass and "slaw". Kinda' felt good to help clean up a bit. I dug up two fine examples of lead sinkers, a few snap swivels and I even dug a little bell (used for catfishin'). As far as clad goes, I dug a 2006 State Quarter (Nebraska), a 1981 "P" Rosie and two terrible looking Memorial pennies (could barely make out what they are).
The one thing that I did dig that I'm a bit excited about is a small (about the size of the Rosie) piece of what I believe to be silver. It's not slag, not aluminum or lead. It's not magnetic and it's not soft. The only way I'll know for sure is to have it tested which I'll be doing Monday. Where I was MD'ing today is about three miles from where there was once a silver mine. I must have sat and stared at this thing for an hour. Did everything I can think of to it just to try and make out what it is exactly. I'm anxious to see what it turns out to be. On my way out there were a couple of guys from the local power company eating lunch at one of the picnic tables - we got to talking and they filled me in on a couple of places to "work". Even hooked me up with the phone number of friend that owns 200 acres of farm fields with some old buildings on them.
Even though I didn't "break the bank" today, it was great to be out there diggin' and learnin'. Getting the hang of the machine now and almost have pinpointing down pat. Getting the "hookups" was a big plus too.
Ordered my 4" coil last night from KellyCo and lookin' forward to using it in some of the trashy areas 'round here. As always, here's some pics. Please forgive the image quality - my equipment is still not back to working condition as of yet so I've been using one of my "dinosaurs" that I've "re-commissioned".
"Stay classy T'netters" - DD-777 8)

Attachments

• z1 (Small).jpg
    z1 (Small).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 693
  • z2 (Small).jpg
    z2 (Small).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 704
  • z3 (Small).jpg
    z3 (Small).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 693
  • z4 (Small).jpg
    z4 (Small).jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 697
Upvote 0
DD,
Thanks for taking part in cleaning up our wonderful state. :tongue3:
Do you think that piece is lead? Is it bendable?
-MM-

ModernMiner said:
DD,
Thanks for taking part in cleaning up our wonderful state. :tongue3:
Do you think that piece is lead? Is it bendable?
-MM-

MM - Definitely not lead. I tried to bend it - nothing. Tried to "mush" it - nothing. Hard like a piece of metal. It gave a "high" tone in the quarter range before and after it came out of the ground. The two lead sinkers I dug gave me a "mid" tone. Monday morning I'll take it down to the coin shop and see what they say. -DD

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
That is a good sign ...

Dig those tabs my man ... And one day you will say to yourself when you get that mighty pull-tab signal ...

Dang it another tab ~ You dig the hole & out pops gold ...

Continue to Persevere ~ Nick

Thanks Nick. Gold would certainly be nice right about now. My attempt to hunt today was spoiled but I'm off the next two days so I'll be heading back to hit it hard. My spider senses are telling me there's silver in my future... :happy3:

Sounds like you are definitely getting the hang of the new machine! Keep at it....surely the gold will be there soon! Even if it never were....still would be loads of fun, huh! ;D

Cynangyl said:
Sounds like you are definitely getting the hang of the new machine! Keep at it....surely the gold will be there soon! Even if it never were....still would be loads of fun, huh! ;D

Thanks Cyn - I'd rather get to finding some relics instead of the gold (but the gold would certainly help in the "financial department"). :wink:

DD-777 said:
Cynangyl said:

Thanks Cyn - I'd rather get to finding some relics instead of the gold (but the gold would certainly help in the "financial department"). :wink:

Relics instead of gold?? How about relics in addition to gold! :laughing9:

Cynangyl said:
DD-777 said:
Cynangyl said:

That would be more than ok with me ;D!!!
History can (is) be so much richer than money though.....

DD-777 said:
Cynangyl said:
DD-777 said:
Cynangyl said:

You definitely have a point there! Best of luck to you with both! Me, I jump up and down over just about anything but pulltabs! lol

Cynangyl said:
DD-777 said:
Cynangyl said:
DD-777 said:
Cynangyl said:

I know the feeling - I do the same thing... :smileinbox:

You definitely have a point there! Best of luck to you with both! Me, I jump up and down over just about anything but pulltabs! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back