Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was detecting an 1830's house last weekend.

Pulled out what I initially thought was a large cent, but it turned out to be a " 5 Centesimi" coin from San Marino, a tiny landlocked country in Italy.

I've found plenty of Canadian coins up here, but can't say I've ever seen one from San Marino. Wonder how it ended up in the front yard of a house on Lake Champlain :icon_scratch:

Happy Hunting!!

Attachments

• 20240829_213633.jpg
    20240829_213633.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 87
  • 20240829_213645.jpg
    20240829_213645.jpg
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 15

Pulled out what I initially thought was a large cent, but it turned out to be a " 5 Centesimi" coin from San Marino, a tiny landlocked country in Italy.

I've found plenty of Canadian coins up here, but can't say I've ever seen one from San Marino. Wonder how it ended up in the front yard of a house on Lake Champlain :icon_scratch:

Happy Hunti

Happy Hunting!!
Could have been brought back from a trip to Europe as a souvenir or from a soldier. No real way to tell

Happy Hunting!!
Between 1880 and 1924 over 4 million Italians immigrated to the USA, and I'm sure many if not most entered the country in the northeast, so it not hard to imagine a few of them could be from that area of Italy and have a coin or two like that they lost.

Last edited:
Great find!!!!
Can I be the one up guy for a minute?
I once found an 1864 Indian Rupee from the Hyderabad region….. in my neighbors 1950 yard in Ft Myers.
People can lose anything, anywhere, at anytime.

Happy Hunting!!
Very Cool!!! I found one of those in SW Missouri. Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back