A Odd Find For Me

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
Hi all,
First todays morning finds,not alot but did find a new school with ballfields and soccer fields which I may go to tonite,only found4q,8d,2n,8p for about an hours worth of diggin.Now my odd find,about a week and a half ago we were hunting a school and I got a low end nickle reading at about 4 in and out came this ugly corroded disc that could not tell what it was,it was roughly the size of a nickle but had no idea what it was.Finally got some vinegar and soaked it overnite and in the morning could tell it was a nickle but not much else.Finally got it cleaned well enough to tell it was a war nickle 1944P!I have never dug a war nickle that looked that terrible and it is cleaning up nice.Any idea on how it got that way?

peace,bigrig

Upvote 0
Most of the war nickels I have found in change are very very dark, but I have never seen one that was corroded.

Seems like once they get to a certain point of wear, the outer layer of which normally protects them is gone and they tarnish more easily...?

Just a guess... All the really dark ones I have found have been heavily worn.

Sweeper may have nailed it.I found one a week ago at 5 inch and was against a wall,It came out looking like it was just droped.Seems at 56% copper,35% silver and 9% manganese it would hold up better.HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back