A Note To all Novices!

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Hello fellow novices and those of you that are sages but read all posts. I would like to take a moment to share a few experiences that I had while deciding to take up this hobby and a few subsequent mistakes after the decision. First, the more research I did on all the MD's out there, the more confused I got. No advertiser, field tester or owner is going to talk down their machine! My advice is to talk to someone that you know and trust and listen carefully. You're already doing the right thing if you're reading this site. I got so much "real world" info here. Second, when you finally make your decision, make sure you've factored in what you want to do with it. A certain poster on this site, (I won't mention any names, but it's been said his Head looks like an Onion!) runs a low end machine with FABULOUS results. Mainly because he knows what he wants to find. Third, After sorting these 2 issues out, and you make your buy, be careful. I learned 2 extremely valuable lessons yesterday, (my first day). First, I almost threw out a valuable coin just because I didn't look at my finds closely enough. See "Overlooked Rare Coin?" posting. Second, one of the signals I read was a strong one on the fringes of the barn I was searching. The ground was frozen so I got a pick out and started beating the daylights out of the spot. When I rolled up the target, it turned out to be a 30mm slug and I had hit it with the pick! (see picture) The gash in the nose of it is where I hit it. Good thing it wasn't a rare coin. Better thing it wasn't live. (I'm old but I'm not really quite through with my genitals just yet!) So let's be careful out there, OK? Have fun and thanks for the listen!~CO2

Attachments

• Dcp02643.jpg
    Dcp02643.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 406
Upvote 0
Some excellent points there CO-2 , I still hit good coins with my scoop, seems the harder I have to chop the ground, the higher the percentage whats down there turns out to be extra special. AND your point about ammo. I dig alot of live rounds. one of my detecting buddies thinks I'm crazy, but I keep them all. I have over 200 rounds of live shells. from 22 to 12 Guage to FULL METAL JACKET. Personally I'd like to know how many out there. keep their live rounds. BTW alot of them I found in a drained lake. when I threw a couple of the 22 shells into my burn barrel they went off. so I know their still leathel. OH YEA, I also found a blasting cap one time, chopped it in half digging it out with my scoop. the powder is still in it. never went off? ;D

If your'e out looking for that fast pot of gold/silver, keep in mind that I have a treasure chest that is slowly being filled but it has taken me about 20 years to do it-a few pieces at a time. The stuff is out there but if your coil doesn't go over it, it won't get put in your goody bag! So slow and easy usually wins the race.

I keep all the live rounds i find. Used one of the 12 gauge shells awhile back on a damn "Yote" that's been killing guineas at my GF's farm. I varmint snipe too. The round still worked ;D

Lmao @ Colorados genital comment.? :D

Oh yes I know all about the bullet stuff..Just a few months ago I went out detecting by a realy good bridge and found a unused 12 gage shot gun shell..I took it home so no-one would get hurt and my husband de-armed it. also found a couple of 22 gage bullets on a side road that where not used and good ones..took tem home and had them de-armed also! I also was detecting in a park once where they where taering down a biulding and woe!!I ran into a gas line that was just an inch below ground level...That is really scarey when you figure in all that it can do if you hit it just right! You would not have to worry about the future anymore!Not to mention the times I had been metal detecting and found a person trying to break into my car because I was far away and left the window open..Never agian.I also was being watched by some 2 men creeping ever so slowly towards me ..I think they thought I was not watching...All I can say is my "Sound only metal Detecto " may have saved my life because I was not watching a gage item tell all on the newer type machines they sell now...If you think your safe your not especially if your alone and not working with a partner.Always watch around you and don't just look at what you found you never know what will pop out of the wood work and what they may want from you.Drop the machine and run fast if there is a problem you acn replace the machine ,but you can not replace your self! A survival kit and water is valuable also! always take this with you when it is warm and prepare for bad weather to..I got caught in a storm that was nasty once and could have been hurt.know the weather and your area also so you don't get lost..A phone is nice for emergencies and "ALWAYS " let someone know
your route of metal detecting in case you get hurt or taken by a stranger so they can have a good lead to where you are when they report to the police! Don't play with strange animals you don't know they could be dangerous ..Such as snakes and unknown dogs ect!!!
Please make sure you make plans that are wise to you and may save your life too!

You should take your hubby with you when you detect, Ghost. My advice for women who are into detecting is to not go alone as it is too risky nowadays. I think for men the threat is not as big of problem. I have never had anything problems with humans while detecting but i'm also 250 lbs and one nasty SOB when i get riled up, so that probably has alot to do with it. If you must go alone, you should at least carry pepper spray or a sidearm. Be careful! 8)

True_Metal said:
You should take your hubby with you when you detect, Ghost. My advice for women who are into detecting is to not go alone as it is too risky nowadays. I think for men the threat is not as big of problem. I have never had anything problems with humans while detecting but i'm also 250 lbs and one nasty SOB when i get riled up, so that probably has alot to do with it. If you must go alone, you should at least carry pepper spray or a sidearm. Be careful! 8)

I never leave home without my Smith & Wesson Model 340PD. A tiny 11 ounce 5 shot.357 Mag revolver that fits very nicely in my front pants pocket. To many nuts out there these days to take a chance on being out alone or with just one other person.

Smitty

I guess it depends on where you live. I'v never had anyone look even remotely dangerous within my eyesight, while out detecting. I don't even lock me doors, or even close the back of my jeep, when I'm out. most of my buddies lock theirs even when their vehicle is setting right next to mine, but then they live in cities, and have a different mindset. PERSONALLY. I don't even lock my doors when I go to bed at night.

Most don't bother me either, but i guess I might look a little insane-cause once in a while I detect, I sometimes have a 12" thick bladed knife clenched in my teeth. Get too many signals to keep putting it back in the sheath. :-X

Thats great that you all have never had probs while detecting and dont have to be overly secure. I'm in a rural setting of upstate NY and its pretty mellow here but i still dont take chances. There are too many punk wanna be thugs to risk losing expensive equipment out of my unlocked jeep, so i lock it no matter what. Wish i could carry my shooter, but with NY laws its just not worth going to jail for if in fact it would be illegal to carry in the county i was in at the time. I think i have solved the problem of security while hunting alone. His name is Elmer, and he is a pure pitbull pup that was rescued from some abusive scumbag dogfighters in Long Island. When he is grown and trained he will more than fit the bill for watching my back while i'm out in the field, and be totally legal 8)

I wish the Kitchen Funding Committee would approve that kind of backup for me too True_M. But all we have is that cat that would just try to sit on the coil and nap while I was swinging. Good to hear you're giving a god home and some outdoor fun for the pup.

Thanks alot Lowbatts 8)

Yeah, he will be a great dog and didnt deserve the life he was facing at the hands of those pieces of sh*t! No animal deserves treatment like that and i'm probably going to get another rescued PB too. PB's, Rotties and alot of the other dog breeds do not deserve the bad rep they have gotten at the hands of these exploiters, and it's time for that to change! There are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners.

that's the way to go! man! i love dogs! lol.. and you're right about those breeds, true_metal. there's too many ignorant dog owners out there that never take the time to socialize their dogs to themselves let alone other dogs and people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back