monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am always looking for artifacts from old documented sites from Ms. I was lucky enough to snag 5 cooking balls from the Claiborne site in Hancock co. Ms. which is a Poverty Point period site. These were recovered in 1969.!!! Claiborne site povert point 002.JPGClaiborne site povert point 003.JPGClaiborne site povert point 006.JPGClaiborne site povert point 008.JPGClaiborne site povert point 009.JPG

Upvote 0
Pretty cool. I have never seen any of those over here. I guess that they are hard to find?

Hmmm. Are they pottery or stones?

I dont think i’d know one one if I saw one up here.

What are some of their common or well known characteristics?

Hmmm. Are they pottery or stones?

I dont think i’d know one one if I saw one up here.

What are some of their common or well known characteristics?

They are found only on Poverty Point site's and most of those are in Ms. and La. They are made of clay and sand then fired like pottery. They used them by heating an dropping into food/water. They come in a variety of shapes, but you can tell they were made by hand, most of them you can see the imprint from their fingers.

I definitely wouldn’t have known what they are but would have still taken the one in pic #4 home I guess context is everything

Very interesting. Some have imprints of hands eh? there is a personal touch on a relic for sure.

I was recently watching a utube video of a dig in Louisiana where they were finding many of these cooking balls. I have never seen anything like them personally, but here in Indiana they may have simply used field boulders

I think I'm seeing faces. :laughing7:
Just kidding you. Nice score on the cooking stones. Although, a lot of people that have been posting rocks that look like something, are probably wondering why yours are not met with the same skepticism.

I think I'm seeing faces. :laughing7:
Just kidding you. Nice score on the cooking stones. Although, a lot of people that have been posting rocks that look like something, are probably wondering why yours are not met with the same skepticism.

I can document these items from a very well known site and these are made of clay not stone.

It makes sense, if you don't have some good river rock to use, as they would have used here out here along the mountain rivers and streams.

I always thought this was something, now after this thread I’m thinking this may be one of those cooking stones. I picked it up years ago and kept it because it has been ground down pretty much it’s entire surface, just not to any certain form. It is a very dense material and appears have been exposed to a lot of heat.
C01955BD-AAB0-4BA2-9AAE-A7819CB2107A.jpegF5D81699-532D-47A7-89BA-C4A93CAAD3C6.jpeg

I have something similar to your 4th pic...only one groove. It may take a few days but I'll try to find it and post it. Cool finds!!!

Thanks for sharing! I have never seen cooking stones before. Awesome find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back