A New Field And A Good Start - 1881 Indian Head Penny

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
I checked out a new field tonight (see my post in the best finds forum under Colonial Coppers, that shows off some finds from our last field) right off a very old town road, about 10 minutes from my house here on Long Island. Field's about 40 acres (but no mule) and was part of much larger farmland years ago. Probably soon to be houses, since right down the road on a smaller parcel they just built about 10 houses. Anyway, got there around 8:00 PM, so I only had about a half an hour to scout for something old before it got dark. Within 10 minutes found the larger 19th century button, then the smaller one, then the thimble and just as it was getting dark found the Indian Head penny pictured. Date is hard to read but its 1881. I'm real excited about this place, since it's probably virgin territory, and if I found these four items in a half hour, what will this site produce after a day, a week or a month? Needless to say, me and Rob will hit it tomorrow. Will post any good finds.

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 391
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 381
Upvote 0
Hunt it hard and keep us posted! There seems to be no end in sight for the amount of development going on ( farm field=houses, condos, walmart shopping center, etc.).

tb

Congrats ! It looks like you've found a site with a lot of great potential. Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted.

Huntin' 59er

Looks like a great start...
Hopefully this field will produce as the last one did, and we'll get to see more goodies... ;D
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Cool stuff!

HH

Lonewolfe

Sounds great ,cant wait to hear the rest.HH

Nice historical finds for a quick check on that site.
There's definitely a lot of potential for a great productive site.
Good luck to you on future hunts there.
HH!

I love indians. That some nice early stuff. I searched one not to long ago that gave up some of the same stuff.

Good Luck Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back