A lot more debitage

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I found all of this in a small area today. I found about 40 pieces of flint debitage in the same area recently.
The field hasn’t been tilled/plowed in many rears. These pieces must have been shallow, because a very light rain uncovered them. I wonder if it’s the site of an old camp, where tools were made. It is on top of a high bank, above a creek. Safe from flooding, good view of lower ground.
I found a lot of other chunks, but these looked the most likely to be flakes/debitage. I’ll keep checking, every time it rains.

Attachments

• IMG_2144.jpeg
    IMG_2144.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Upvote 4
Good spot hopefully something good pops for you. I’ve been sick last 4 days 🥹

Maybe you’ve said in a different post but where is this spot? General corner of state is fine, it looks like some stuff I’ve found, material wise. I think your on the right track, just keep going back and im sure you’ll get some gems… are there lots of little tiny flakes? Maybe some burnt rock or daub? Shells? Pottery, bone? I think it’s safe to say it’s a site but that would tell you if it was a camp or village vs say a tool shop/quarry area

Maybe you’ve said in a different post but where is this spot? General corner of state is fine, it looks like some stuff I’ve found, material wise. I think your on the right track, just keep going back and im sure you’ll get some gems… are there lots of little tiny flakes? Maybe some burnt rock or daub? Shells? Pottery, bone? I think it’s safe to say it’s a site but that would tell you if it was a camp or village vs say a tool shop/quarry area
Southeast Iowa. Yes, a lot of small flakes, some bones, very rare to find pottery so far. Every rain seems to reveal a little more.

You can determine a few things just from the debitage. Debitage on a paleo site are usually large pieces with large reject bifaces laying about. Early archaic debitage is good sized too and never any signs of heat treating. When you get into late archaic times and beyond a lot of the debitage will show signs of heat. Burlington will turn pink sometimes and will be super glossy. If it’s a Mississippian site where they are making small arrow points the debitage will be loads of tiny flakes. After more than 20 yrs knapping, patterns emerged and I could relate the debitage I was producing to what I was seeing on the sites I hunt.

You can determine a few things just from the debitage. Debitage on a paleo site are usually large pieces with large reject bifaces laying about. Early archaic debitage is good sized too and never any signs of heat treating. When you get into late archaic times and beyond a lot of the debitage will show signs of heat. Burlington will turn pink sometimes and will be super glossy. If it’s a Mississippian site where they are making small arrow points the debitage will be loads of tiny flakes. After more than 20 yrs knapping, patterns emerged and I could relate the debitage I was producing to what I was seeing on the sites I hunt.
Most of these are large pieces( 1” x 3/4” and larger), with at least one sharp, very thin edge. A few pieces have a pinkish tint to them. On first observation many look like chunks of clam shell (glossy) but definitely are rock. The pink color is due to heat treating?
Thank you. 👍🏼

When a piece of Burlington comes out of “the oven” you will see a color change, if there is any. You won’t see gloss until you remove a flake. The first flake off of a freshly heated piece will be dull on one side and glossy on the other. Once the dull is skinned off of a biface all the other flakes coming off will be glossy.

When a piece of Burlington comes out of “the oven” you will see a color change, if there is any. You won’t see gloss until you remove a flake. The first flake off of a freshly heated piece will be dull on one side and glossy on the other. Once the dull is skinned off of a biface all the other flakes coming off will be glossy.
That explains a lot. I wondered why some were so glossy on only one face.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back