A lock? Mid to late 1800s field find.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Found this in an area of a lot of small brass pieces as well as garter belt parts. Appears to be where a lady may have resided back in the late 1800s. I’m not convinced on a lock though. Any clues or hints would be great. Thanks. Jgas. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553643453.559009.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553643462.886366.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553643474.459638.jpg

Old Chinese style lock, should have some engraved decoration on it if you clean it up.
Here’s a modern reproduction:
CF0ADD0D-5E05-4741-B44E-DCA8337C0DE0.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks like what a screen door would attach to. Just a guess. Or it could be a trailer pin lock. Another Guess.

Kace

Upvote 0
Benz I think ya locked it up with that one. Looks like it for sure. Not much you could lock up with it tho. Strange. Jgas.

Upvote 0
Benz I think ya locked it up with that one. Looks like it for sure. Not much you could lock up with it tho. Strange. Jgas.

They are actually very common lock... produced for eons in every size from 1/2 inch to 3-4 inches... some of the keys are a two part design.

I own several.

In fact one just like that one is on my chest / coffee table as we speak.

Upvote 0
PS... they were a box / chest lock.

Very ornate escutcheon plate with 2 pegs hold lock some only single wider peg.

Upvote 0
They are actually very common lock... produced for eons in every size from 1/2 inch to 3-4 inches... some of the keys are a two part design.

I own several.

In fact one just like that one is on my chest / coffee table as we speak.
EXACTLY! The one above is actually kind of a rarity most are plain. If you want to want to make a key for it jgas, go to a good hobby shop and you'll be able to find brass "scale I beam". Usually just a light sanding to make it slide. There is a second type that uses what looks like a small tweezer for the key. When I was a young pup we'd go to a Japanese market for candy. The lady had several jewelry boxes that were from Japan only problem the locks were stamped China on the fixed end!?!? Go figure. got a few in my collection, think they're in the "I'll get to it buckets. Wow! just did the math. First time I made a key for one was 58 years ago!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone. Ya just never know what ya might dig up. Crazy. Cool history on it all. Gonna try to get it cleaned up and get that key made. Jgas.

Upvote 0
It's from the 1970's - My parents had a Gift Shoppe back then - they sold large hand carved wooden boxes & trunks from Asia - they all those locks on them . The Mustard Seed Shoppe , Easton , Massachusetts - 509 Washington street .

Upvote 0
It's from the 1970's - My parents had a Gift Shoppe back then - they sold large hand carved wooden boxes & trunks from Asia - they all those locks on them . The Mustard Seed Shoppe , Easton , Massachusetts - 509 Washington street .
The one he's showing is older than the 70s. They've been around for hundreds of years. One of the ones I've got came from my grandfathers locksmith shop he gave it to me in 1963 to make a key for he thought it was made in the early 50s. Another example is the Japanese neighbor who had one on a trunk & one on a cabinet she got from her parents. She was 70 at that time.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back