A Little Silver to Kick Off the Weekend

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey everyone,

It's about to be a busy stretch of travel and work so I'm trying to sneak some hunting in this weekend before I'm out of town the next couple weeks. I was able to get about an hour free this afternoon so I hit some sidewalk strips in my neighborhood.

~ tip to the newer detectorists~ if you live in an older neighborhood (50s and back) and it has sidewalk strips, those might be a great source of targets. Even though they are city property, I generally check with homeowners to be safe before I detect them. My neighbors have all been very accommodating. Something I did which has made it way easier to talk to them was to leave postcards at their houses. The front of the post card has a photo of me and a couple cool finds. The back explains the hobby, how I live in the neighborhood, asking permission to detect the strips outside their house, and my contact info. Most people don't get back to me but when I approach them they immediately know what I'm talking about and give me a thumbs up.

A couple weeks ago I got an email back from one of the postcards and my neighbor told me to go for it. I didn't have a chance to get out there until today.

I worked the strips pretty hard and didn't have much to show for it when I decided to take one more pass. Glad I did! Got a banging half dollar signal at 6" and when I flipped the plug, I could tell by the patina of the coin in the hole that I found silver.

Wasn't a half dollar but I'm not complaining about a Rosie. It was a good start to the weekend and I've got permission to hunt a friend's 1940s house tomorrow that's got a decent size yard. Hopefully more to show then!

Today's Keepers:
-2 Wheats (45, 46)
-1 old nickel (41)
-1 Rosie (59D)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517616268.155746.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517616277.203449.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517617485.770594.jpg

Good luck out there!
-Washingtonian

Last edited:
Upvote 18
great start! you never know where the good stuff will turn up until you swing and dig. sounds like you have a plan. waiting for more pics

Nice hunt and nice finds. I was in the second grade when that Rosie was minted!

Now it's a good weekend no matter what! lol

Nice! 🙌 And a Pacman Penny, too! 😁

Way to save that silver. Congrats.

Excellent post on the sidewalk strips. Public property indeed but, many homeowners aren't aware of this. Best to get their blessing to hunt before you run into an avoidable incident. I have had a few ugly moments from unruly folks running me off the strips. Thanks for the great suggestions mate.

WHEATS AND SILVER NICE COINS.

Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Congrats, those silvers are starting to add up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back