Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Picked up the sword in the following photos last Sunday but I can't seem to identify it. I thought it was Societe St. Jean Baptiste, but I emailed them with some photos and they said it wasn't one of their swords. They said the sword design was all wrong and the abbreviation of the name was wrong. On the scabbard is St. J. Bte. as well as on the blade. On the ricasso its marked " Syndicate Canadien Francias" in that spelling, and Worcester, Mass. View attachment 1373728View attachment 1373731View attachment 1373732View attachment 1373733View attachment 1373735View attachment 1373736View attachment 1373737. Here's St. Jean Baptiste : View attachment 1373739View attachment 1373740. Any help is appreciated, especially you New England Guys and Gals!!

Upvote 0
My point was that it has the same markings on the ricasso, and perhaps they were from the same organization, of whatever type you think that might be.

Upvote 0
But Im I seeing an eagle on the head? No here you go? Edit.. I wanna see an eagle.

Upvote 0
But Im I seeing an eagle on the head? No here you go? Edit.. I wanna see an eagle.

Get use to disappointment :evil6:
It's the best example for the op to research from. An eagle over the helmet looks simply like another rank on the same sword. Same star, same bar, same helmet, same guard, gives him plenty to work with.

Upvote 0
Not the same organization, I'm looking to decipher " St. J. Bte. "

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Attachments

• baptiste.jpg
    baptiste.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
A lot of lodge swords were generic " fits-m- all " styles to cater to the low budget customer, you can find exactly the same sword in 10 different organizations the only difference being the markings. The key to this one is the " St. J. Bte. "

Yea, the St. J Bte. is the owners name abbreviated, but the sword was an easy find. I have one that belonged to my great uncle but has the chain from the guard to the pommel and an African male lion where your eagle is... Then where the St. J. Bte is, is where his name is engraved into it. S.G. Lukens
So it could be anything from Stephan ¿ Bartholomew to... ?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back