Feb 23, 2011
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0
NO picture. Please try again. i would love to see it

Oops, here is the pic, having trouble downloading from my phone.

ForumRunner_20131111_213734.png

The iron pieces are main springs from flint lock rifles. Cool stuff you are finding.

I agree- they're main springs. The kettle lug is from the 1780s from what I can tell. It may be a bit earlier though.

LRH

thanks for giving me the correct identification, didn't know it was a kettle "lug", I actually have four lugs that I have found. Thanks for the info!!

Lugs or "ears". People call them by both and are understood. Being close to Ft. Toulouse and that time frame, its probably French.

Here's a picture of them to help out.

LRH

Attachments

• Kettle lugs.jpg
    Kettle lugs.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 92
Lugs or "ears". People call them by both and are understood. Being close to Ft. Toulouse and that time frame, its probably French.

Here's a picture of them to help out.

LRH
Thanks for passing along the info. Are these only for copper kettles or does it include iron?

Those are for brass kettles. Some of them have a piece of sheet brass folded over as a lug, which I believe are 18th c. and are English-made. I'll have to check...

Copper kettles (with lids) made by HBCo have lugs with a knob that sticks out to hold the bale. Others have similar lugs to what I posted.

Sheet iron kettles (aka tinned iron) have a thinner lug made from sheet iron or brass like the 1814-1851 styles, while others just simply have a hole on each side for the bale. This difference probably depended on the maker. I haven't seen a lot of sheet iron kettles. But the two I did see, had the holes on each side.

There are some good reproductions out there if you are having trouble finding actual examples.

Them r nise sprangs. If you dont have this book you should get it. Historic Indian Towns in Alabama 1540-1838 By Amos J Wright. The University of Alabama Press 2003 It makes me foam et de mowf!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back