Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out for a little bit today. Went to the hunted out park up the street. Had a pretty good day. Was there for about 2 hours. The kids got to play. First find was a new penny. Next good find was a 1944 Mercury dime. Found a couple of wheat cents next and then a 1984 nickle. Next find was a 1936 Mercury dime. Then I started walking back where I came from and first hit was a 1936 Mercury dime, followed by more wheat cents, a yet unidentifiable Indian head, and then to my surprise, two yet unidentifiable Indian head cents and an 1886 nickle in the same hole. Next hit resulted in four quarters in the same hole, two of which where state quarter, Rhode Island and Virginia. Last hit was another Indian head. Not too shabby for a hunted out park. Again, someone came up to me today, and said "You are the second person I seen with a metal detector in this park" to which I replied, "oh yeah, well they been missing alot of the coins." Oh yeah, found a ring too. Its a really weird looking ring. Its not gold or anything, and its broken, but it looks like a very old class ring.

Anthony

Upvote 0
WOW!!!!!

Sounds like you had one heck of a day! Show us a pic!

Keep em coming!
Deadshot

that park really will be hunted out if you keep going there! great finds again!

NOT hunted out

Sounds as if you didn't anything for the other guy. Good going.

I've been to alot of hunted out spots like that! Nice finds. I miss this one spot that used to be an air base. It's privately held and we lost our person on the board some years ago. Long story short, NO HUNTING! We must have found at least a hundred silvers out there. HH! Chris

Andee said:
2 Indian heads and an 1868 nickel in the SAME hole?? WOW. Great finds.

No, two Indians and an 1886 Liberty nickle in the same hole. You had asked about an 1868 nickle. The Indians are in very poor condition, and the nickle is not in any better condition. So despite being a semi-key date (G-4 is $200) it is really pretty much worthless, and will just go in my collection, with a note that it was found on 10/1/05, at the park, in same hole with two Indians. This brings my totals now to 15 silver coins (1 Franklin half, two Washington quarters, 2 Roosevelt dimes, 8 Mercury dimes, and 2 Barber dimes) 4 liberty nickles, 1 buffalo nickle, 8 Indian heads, and 100s of wheat cents at this allegedly hunted out park. I have even found stuff that I have missed by going over grids that I have searched, what I thought at the time, rather thoroughly. I guess no truer words were ever spoken, "Nothing is ever hunted out."

southern gent said:
I've been to alot of hunted out spots like that! Nice finds. I miss this one spot that used to be an air base. It's privately held and we lost our person on the board some years ago. Long story short, NO HUNTING! We must have found at least a hundred silvers out there. HH! Chris

I used to nail the heck out of a retired air base in Lubbock, TX, and the silver rate sounded about the same. My only two silver halves, 2 Franklin halves, came out of there.

Sounds like a dream day, for me that is. I hope your park isin't the one I'm planning on hitting Saturday, lol! Good luck, and HH!

I was stationed at Reese AFB in Lubbock for a year and a half. Glad you found my coins, I'll be expecting them in the mail! Thanks in advance! ;) JIM aka KS

Jimmileo, you were stationed at Reese? No way! What are the odds? When were you there? I lived in Lubbock for nine years, from 1996-2005, when I moved to Clovis. I hit all the housing there for as long as I could, probably found 100 silver coins. Any chance you knew someone there with the initials LAD? I found a 1946 graduation ring with a red stone on top with a gold seal on it, looked like a shield, but the gold was so worn I couldn't make anything from it. Looked like a graduation ring, with the date, but no school name.

I was there in '63 and '64 just as VietNam was getting hot. I expected to ship out to 'Nam but went to Libya instead! We had a huge airbase at Tripoli back then. Don't recognize those initials but I was born in 1944, so way before my time. I was there the day they closed the base as my son was attending Texas Tech. Lots of good memories of Lubbock and a certain little gal I fell madly in love with. She broke my heart and just as well, I married Kay who has put up with me for 35+ years. I had a distant cousin living over in Clovis about that time and an Aunt, Uncle and cousin living in Carlsbad. He worked in the Potash mines. My cousin was the NM State Jr. Barrel Riding Champion for two years, until she started riding Equestrian events and then she won that championship too! I've never seen so many ribbons and trophies! Quite a talented lady. Anyway, small world! JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back