A interesting hammered coin

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out for a few hours today before the storm moved in, managed to find a nice old spoon from 1847 and a trigger from a gun. Anyways highlight of the hunt was this strange coin I found :icon_scratch:. I cleaned off as much dirt as I'm willing to, because I'm worried to damage this coin. I have no idea how to go about figuring out the age of this coin or where it's from, which is why I'm here for some professional help :headbang:.

Some info on the coin, it looks like it is struck only on one side (be cool if's some kind of ancient coin error....well I can hope lol) The coin weigh's 2 gram, it's quite thin. I put a nickel in one of the pictures for a size reference. This rang up as iron/coin when it first swung over it, then after removing the cap switched to a pull-tab signal. If there's any more info you guys need to ID this let me know.

Thanks guys for your help, really hope this is my oldest coin yet! 8-)

IMG_20131126_221352.jpg
IMG_20131126_220055.jpg

IMG_20131126_220027.jpg
IMG_20131126_220107.jpg
Sorry if pics are a little blurry, phone was having trouble focusing.

My split second gut reaction before reading the post was that it's a medal... and with it only having detail on one side that is probably right.

Upvote 0
Or could it be 1 half of a 2 piece button?

Upvote 0
IMO, I see nothing on the piece that resembles a coin; perhaps others see it differently.
Don....

lol, ya I was hoping. Either way still an interesting find in my book, do you guys think it's old? or more modern?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back