Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy Thanksgiving T-Netters!
I've come to the conclusion that the late Fall is my favorite time of year to go detecting in the woods. No bugs. No leaves on the trees and bushes. Lots of beautiful scenery and peace and quiet. What could be better. So yesterday after finishing my holiday prep chore list, I took a hike in some nearby woods that have produced some nice coins and relics from the 1700-1800's. My first decent target turned out to be a 1852 LC. It was about 10 inches deep, and tangled up in a bunch of roots.
012.JPG013.JPG

For the next hour I came across very few signals , but did manage a couple of musket balls. Light was fading at this point so I started heading to the car, detecting along the way. I came across a solid signal, but the VDI was only 65 ( using a frequency of 8kHz on my Deus). Not very encouraging, but I dug it anyway. The target was only about 4 inches down. It looked like a coin (25 mm, 4.8 g), but had a strange dull green-gray patina. I couldn't immediately see any details, so I packed it up and headed for home. After doing some cleaning, I turned out to be a 1872 British Half Penny. I believe that the low VDI and strange patina is do to its bronze composition. A strange, but happy discovery.
014.JPG015.JPG

Upvote 27
Congratualtions on the nice find! :occasion14:

Very nice.Congrats

That L.C. really has a lot of detail on it. It must have been dropped right after minting. Nice finds. Happy Thanksgiving.

yes that 52 Has Shocking Detail on the reverse !

I don't remember Ever seeing a Large cent with Such Detail.
Not even UnDug.

Very Nice Photo work too !

Last edited:
Very nice finds, I may just have to visit my cousins in Worcester some time.8-)

Sweet finds Im with ya I love fall and winter all the brush and weeds are gone you can hunt the woods cause the ground doesnt free less people no bugs I hear many people hang it up for the year Im just getting started Well done Happy t day to you as well

Thanks for the nice comments. Hope everyone had an enjoyable Turkey Day. Now get out there and find some stuff!

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back