Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone,

Found this item at an early spot. Got a few musket balls as well as what I believe to be 1700's Royal Navy buton. Was wondering if it could be an iron buttstock from a pistol.

Thank you.

20170703_110231.jpg
20170703_110252.jpg
20170703_110308.jpg
20170702_213240.jpg

The button is really sweet.

That piece is the correct size... I am used to seeing them in brass, but that "looks" right.

Well done, as usual.

Upvote 0
That is a very cool find! it certainly looks like it could be a pistol butt-cap! Here is picture of a British model 1780 cavalry pistol pictured in The Revolutionary Soldier 1775-1783 By C. Keith Wilbur.

flintlockpistol.jpg

The piece you found and the butt-cap on the pistol in the picture look quite similar. The Royal Navy button and musket balls also make me think this is likely from a pistol. In your case, if the item you found is from a pistol, it may be from a sea service pistol. The difference from a cavalry pistol, is the sea service pistol has a belt clip on the back of the pistol:

seaserviceshort2.jpg

Only reason why this may not be a pistol part is because most British pistol butt-plates were made from brass.

Upvote 0
It looks like the one on my early 1800's flintlock, but mine is brass. I would say some gunsmith was building pistols with the materials that were at hand.

Upvote 0
Definitely a buttcap from a pistol. Most of them you see will be brass, but iron was also used, remember these fired one shot and then turned into clubs. You'll also see them in silver, German silver and plated in silver or gold

Upvote 0
That is a very cool find! it certainly looks like it could be a pistol butt-cap! Here is picture of a British model 1780 cavalry pistol pictured in The Revolutionary Soldier 1775-1783 By C. Keith Wilbur.

View attachment 1468017

The piece you found and the butt-cap on the pistol in the picture look quite similar. The Royal Navy button and musket balls also make me think this is likely from a pistol. In your case, if the item you found is from a pistol, it may be from a sea service pistol. The difference from a cavalry pistol, is the sea service pistol has a belt clip on the back of the pistol:

View attachment 1468018

Only reason why this may not be a pistol part is because most British pistol butt-plates were made from brass.

Thank you for the great info.

Upvote 0
It looks like the one on my early 1800's flintlock, but mine is brass. I would say some gunsmith was building pistols with the materials that were at hand.

Yes, I thought it could be possible as well. Don't think they had many spare part laying around if the original butt cup was lost, so possibly a repared piece as well.

Upvote 0
Definitely a buttcap from a pistol. Most of them you see will be brass, but iron was also used, remember these fired one shot and then turned into clubs. You'll also see them in silver, German silver and plated in silver or gold

Yes. I believe iron one would be more appropriate to use as a club.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back