A Great Skipping Rock?

Jakuba

Apr 28, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day to you. Found this today on a hike. Thought it'd be a great skipping stone. I am a new member and figured I'd ask if this was anything before I chuck it into the deep end of the local lake. I'm guessing it will give me 20+ skips, but on the off chance this is a hand tool I'd rather not send it to its watery grave. Unfortunately took a little knick out of the right side of her but none the worse for wear. Found in southern Tennessee. And help appreciated. Please let me know if you can't see the pictures.

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.05.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.05.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.05.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.05.40 PM.png

Upvote 0
I think it is natural water washed skipper... 20 skips... Its probably not the record but I think pretty darn good...
Makes my elbow sore thinking about....

Last edited:
You stumbled across a philosophical conundrum. Do you skip the perfect skipping stone? Or preserve it as the paragon of its class? And can it truly be considered a skipping stone until it has skipped? I'd better go lie down.

20 skips is pretty good, I would be proud of that if I did it. My record is probably 10 but it's been so long since I've done anything like that I honestly don't remember. I would be lucky to get that or even half that these days, my guns aren't what they used to be. You should get someone to video it if you decide to let it sail and post it here.

I think all of us as kids had fun skipping stones. Remember the contests with friends to see who got the most skips? Searching for the perfect skipper? Great memories of a simpler time.

I do wonder how many people have unknowingly picked up a biface because of the perfect shape and chucked it into the water not knowing any better

To me that looks like sandstone so wrong material and no flake scars but the way that edge is would keep me wondering, it does have that wavy look

Last edited:
I remember walking rivers and coming near a skipper and u could hear it saying "skip me skip me"

You may want to think twice before skipping that one. That looks almost as sharp as a piece of roofing slate I once skipped on the creek in my youth. The resulting slice to my finger tip went to the bone. I was a couple miles from home on foot, it throbbed all the way home. 60 years later that's the most visible characteristic of my fingerprints.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back