A finger ring ID

Volos

Oct 12, 2007
Russia, Moscow region
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX+
Good evening everyone!

I’d like to ask your opinions about this finger ring which was found in Ukraine. The letters on the bezel seem to be Latin rather than Slavic and one of the version heard was that this monogram (LHB) could be interpreted as L=Love, H=Hope, B=Belief (of cause if it’s the right reading). The sun (or is it just a star?) and the crescent on the sides of it could have had the 'Male' and 'Female' meanings respectively. However, it has an appearance of an ancient (Roman?) one.

I can’t exclude the possibility of it to be British as English coins from the late Anglo-Saxon period till present are sometimes found on the former USSR territory (amazingly as far away from Britain as in Perm region in Russia!). On the other hand Roman coins is also not a rare find in Ukraine…

Well, anyway it’ll be very interesting to hear all your thoughts.
Thanks in advance!

NB On the pic.2 is a “mirror” impression.

PS Sorry for my English! :)

Attachments

• ring0.jpg
    ring0.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 421
I wonder if this is a "seal ring" used to create an impression in hot wax...

I agree with you that it looks Roman.

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
At a closer look, I don't see the "H." I only see "L B." I do think that you're on to something with regard to the moon and star on the ring.

-Buckleboy

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
At a closer look, I don't see the "H." I only see "L B." I do think that you're on to something with regard to the moon and star on the ring.
-Buckleboy
Well, it’s obviously not an expensive ring, IMHO thus there was a little accuracy while it was made and “H” is just not complete (see photo).

gypsyheart said:
LHB in early Roman is.......... Flame
How early is this “early Roman”? The majority of Roman coins found in the region are of the Hadrian times. Does it fit?

Let’s consider it’s LHB and it means “Flame”. Then having in mind that those star and moon are the gender symbols with the Flame between them we got … a seal wedding ring ???

Attachments

• ring H.JPG
    ring H.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 392
Upvote 0
Volos said:
How early is this “early Roman”? The majority of Roman coins found in the region are of the Hadrian times. Does it fit?

Hadrian would qualify as early, I'm sure. Roman Empire lasted until 476 AD (Western Empire). Hadrian was 117-138 AD.

Volos said:
Let’s consider it’s LHB and it means “Flame”. Then having in mind that those star and moon are the gender signs with the Flame between them we got … a seal wedding ring ???

This could very well be true.

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
...Roman Empire lasted until 476 AD (Western Empire). Hadrian was 117-138 AD.
:) I'm well aware of it 8) ;) I thought "early" was about the Roman Republic or even earlier...

BuckleBoy said:
Volos said:
Let’s consider it’s LHB and it means “Flame”. Then having in mind that those star and moon are the gender signs with the Flame between them we got … a seal wedding ring ???

This could very well be true.

Thank you! But that's just a possibility, right? If it's truly Roman. What about if it's a medieval by any chance? ;)

Upvote 0
Volos said:
BuckleBoy said:
...Roman Empire lasted until 476 AD (Western Empire). Hadrian was 117-138 AD.
:) I'm well aware of it 8) ;) I thought "early" was about the Roman Republic or even earlier...

Oh, yes. Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I think Gypsy needs to explain what she means by "early." Another valuable resource on this site is Crusader. You might want to send him a Private Message with the link for this post in it and ask him if he has any ideas.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
It is a ring 'seal' combination

The shape & body of the ring especially the top section before the bezel is typically late roman 3-4th century. However the workmanship of the inscription looks poor for the roman period & is more in keeping with the 17th century. But I would lean towards the Roman period. No idea what the letters meant other than the owners initials to seal the wax letters with.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back