A few Vacation Finds... Im Glad Im home!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few Vacation Finds... I'm Glad I'm home!

Went on a week long trip to the Smoky Mountains (Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area) via Walnut Grove Ga. (my sisters house) on the way up. I have to say that as far as "picking" goes, i'm glad I live where I do. Because the pickins were scarce this past week out of town. Went to an estate sale in Bethlehem, Ga. Fri. before last. Not much there, overpriced Fenton and depression glass. I did score a $1 bag of pens and pencils and other assorted junk. In the bag were several Parkers including a few Bell Systems employee ones. Best one was a Parker striped Duofold from 1942. Also found a set of 5 (minus 1 that I broke, so 4) Eastern Airlines Inaugural Flight of the Constellation glasses. They are made by Libbey and date to the mid 1940's. Paid $5 for the set. The photo is from the web. They are packed up and I forgot to take a pic of them.

DSC04870.jpgDSC04873.jpg
1_429cb13ec469ccb066338f8ca870dcf1.jpg

Made it to Pigeon Forge to the cabin in the woods-

DSC04681_00.jpg

Found some stuff at a small flea market in Sevierville. My favorite was the souvenir photo "postcard" booklet of the Milwaukee Road railroad prints. Got it for $1 from a guy that was selling marbles and mason jars.

DSC04847.jpg

Also (same fleamarket) found a McCoy pottery pine cone tea pot w/creamer and sugar. Lid is cracked on the teapot but for $8 it was worth it for the set-

DSC04853.jpg

Went to several yard sales also, found a few belt buckles, they wanted $5 each. I got them all for $3 each, they should sell for about $10 each. The pocket knife has a bone handle and is unmarked, $2, a Ray-Ban sun glass case (empty) for $1, the Playboy shot glass and ashtray were .50 each. I always buy these, they sell okay when you have a small lot of them (ashtrays, glasses, swizzle sticks etc.). I have several of each already. The Shovel has IGFA fishing center logo on it. That is actually located down here about 5 miles from my house so it was unusual to find it up there in Tn. I guess it's a souvenir from the groundbreaking?, I really don't know but it was only .25.

DSC04851.jpg

My last vacation pick was a medallion of some sort. I haven't researched it yet. I believe it is a school award or presentation medallion of some sort. I paid $10 for it on a maybe just because I didn't know what it was. May have paid too much, don't know but took a chance. I have sold similar medallions for $50 and upwards. Value is yet undetermined.

DSC04845.jpgDSC04844.jpg

Anyway, that wraps up my vacation finds...

other than the wild turkeys I found on the way back to the cabin-

DSC04779_00A.jpgDSC04780_00.jpg

PS- I'll show you yesterdays finds from down here, tomorrow. Much better stuff, except for the turkeys!

Glad you had a nice trip, Dig. Always good to get away for a while.

Also glad you got some buying done. I love to pick while I am out on the road, even though I never get to do it.

The forum was awful slow without you. Glad you are back!

nice buys, your sister has a great place there it looks like! maybe not better finds but still nice to get away from So. Fl.?

nice buys, your sister has a great place there it looks like! maybe not better finds but still nice to get away from So. Fl.?
That's the cabin we rented in Pigeon Forge. My sis lives in Ga.. Yes it was real nice to get away from S.Fl.. I wish I could afford not to come back, lol.

Thanks for the replies.

PS- I found out that the medallion that I paid $10 for is called "The Distinguished Lasallian Educator Award," presented by "The Brothers Christian Schools". The first one was awarded in 1989 so it's not old. It's rare because not many exist but... value? Probably not much. I'll list it and see what happens.
The Distinguished Lasallian Educator Award

Nice finds, nice cabin and nice turkeys :)

I have a quick question on pens. I've been picking up Cross pens for a while since I know they can be gold filled and sterling, I literately have a pile of them. I was wondering though, is there any other brands I should look out for that usually carry some value?

Nice finds, nice cabin and nice turkeys :)

I have a quick question on pens. I've been picking up Cross pens for a while since I know they can be gold filled and sterling, I literately have a pile of them. I was wondering though, is there any other brands I should look out for that usually carry some value?
There are many varieties and brands to look out for. One of the most collectible is Montblanc. Others to look out for include, Parker, Namiki, Pelikan, Wahl, Waterman, Cartier and Tiffany (of course), Sheaffer, Dunhill, to name a few.

PS- I noticed I said there were several Parkers in the bag. I meant to say there were several Cross pens in the bag besides the one Parker Duofold, which was the best one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back