A Few Things In Need Of Identification

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Kellyco Predator II, Bounty Hunter Quickdraw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first coin I need help Identifying is this one. Unknown coin obverse.jpgUnknown coin reverse.jpg The second coin I need help Identifying is this one.American coin obverse.jpgAmerican coin reverse.jpg Last but not least, I know this is a long shot but I would also like help identifying the ship on this charm. Unknown ship.jpg Thanks in advance, I hope to learn something about these unknowns.

Upvote 1
Can't really make out the first coin,but the second one looks like a Brasher Doubloon.Did ya find these.If so that's one real sweet find.congrats

The first coin is Roman,(possibly Trajan) but the picture is to bad to tell if it's real and to ID properly, were did you get these items...found or bought :icon_scratch:

SS

Last edited:
The first one is probably a Barberous Radiate Roman coin ( or copy )
Like JohnBoy said the second coin is an Ephraim Brasher New York doubloon (gold if real)........undoutably a copy.

Last edited:
The first one was found, I had thought it might be French. The second one was in my coin box and I honestly can't remember where it came from. I took the best pics I could I'll try to get better ones tho.

I expected the brasher doubloon to be a replica but I can assure you the Roman one is not. Thank you for your help. I'll probably just turn the replica into a necklace or something.

I expected the brasher doubloon to be a replica but I can assure you the Roman one is not. Thank you for your help. I'll probably just turn the replica into a necklace or something.
How do you know the Roman coin is not a fake/copy.

SS

Macro's of the 'Roman' will crack the ID.

I say the Roman coin is not fake because it was buried deep on my property. I don't know much about the ship pendant, other then it was found along the shores of Lake Champlain. Hope that helps. I'll get a few more pics up of the Roman silver asap. Thank you guys.

749436d1362068263-few-things-need-identification-unknown-ship.jpg

Hey Tiborn,

More focusy photos, cropped of extraneous stuff, might help in identification.

The "charm" looks like it might be the USS Maine, or one of the ships from the White Fleet.

uss-maine-habana1_thumb%5B5%5D.jpg

I say the Roman coin is not fake because it was buried deep on my property. I don't know much about the ship pendant, other then it was found along the shores of Lake Champlain. Hope that helps. I'll get a few more pics up of the Roman silver asap. Thank you guys.
Thanks for telling us it's Silver, so proberbly a denarius, I will stick with Trajan, the reverse looks like Concordia seated, that's off the top of my head, with out better pictures, but it it being buried deep on your property....does not mean it's not a fake/copy.

A side view, weight and diameter would help also :icon_thumright:

SS

The ship is most likely a mourning or remembrance medallion for the USS Maine.

The ship necklace has always been one of my favorites. I was hoping it was an older ship but it's still a piece of history and therefore cool to me. If the Roman coin turns out to be a replica that will make me 1 for 3. 1 for 3 is better then 0-3 tho. I'll post the more detailed shots as soon as I can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back