diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a few items today at an estate sale. I got some WW2 era US hat badges and collar devices, nothing special. I also got a few Royal Engineer and Grenadier Guard items. Included wre a few pieces i'm having a hard time trying to ID. The first is what I believe to be the Danish national coat of arms. But what is it for? Military uniform? Or something else?

measures 3" x 2" wide, gold toned metal with a felt backing

DSC04647.jpgDSC04648.jpg

I also have this piece which I have no clue about. I know the South African A.F. uses this motto, but I can't find anything that looks like this anywhere-

measures 4.5" x 3 7/8" at it's wide point, silver metal threads on felt back
DSC04645.jpgDSC04646.jpg

Also this brass button-

DSC04661.jpgDSC04662.jpg

And these things too-

Ad astra per aspera" ... is also the state motto of Kansas, meaning "To the stars through difficulty."

Hope this helps...

Best,

Scott

Upvote 0
Don and Scott, Thanks for the replies. I've checked the wiki page and searched almost every reference listed for the motto, looking for some sort of anything that resembles this "logo," to no avail. I'm still working on it though.

NOLA Ken- Yeah, I read that too. The backmark dating is a little confusing/conflicting on this particular maker. I'm wondering if it is related to this British regiment-? 51st (2nd Yorkshire, West Riding) Regiment of Foot [Recruiting EU] ?

No picture but I also found this (particularly the last statement) which makes me believe that it is one and the same-

According to Parkyn (Shoulder Belt plates & Buttons), the 51st's buttons were:

"In 1814 the officers' buttons were flat, gilt, one piece, with the design (of a crown above '51' all within a laurel wreath, which is above a scroll entitled "MINDEN") in relief. This design was retained on the convex coatee button until replaced by the design of '51' within the curl of a crowned French bugle-horn.
The Tunic button, 1855-1881, had the design of '51' within a wreath of leaves with a scalloped edge."

Upvote 0
If it helps, Three lions below a crown is the national symbol of England. The crown shown is for a female monarch.

Upvote 0
The presence of hearts among the lions means it is indeed a Danish Royal Army emblem. Here's a photo showing some mid-1800s Danish Army officers' buttons. Note the small hearts among the lions.

Being felt-backed, my guess is that it is a hatbadge.

Attachments

• button_foreign_DanishOfficerButtons1860_Marinehome1_Ebay.jpg
    button_foreign_DanishOfficerButtons1860_Marinehome1_Ebay.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
Wow Cannon, I never knew that. Here's a picture of a danish Army general cap badge.
DHR 327 Army General Staff.JPG

Upvote 0
The presence of hearts among the lions means it is indeed a Danish Royal Army emblem. Here's a photo showing some mid-1800s Danish Army officers' buttons. Note the small hearts among the lions.

Being felt-backed, my guess is that it is a hatbadge.
I just made a long reply to you but had to delete it because I just found out that it is not a military badge but police badge. Thank you for the input. Here is one I found-

Danish%20Police,%20Badge%20(%202%20items).jpg

Only one more id and I can green check this thread. Based on the size, shape and back of the "ad astra per aspera" piece, do you think it is a shoulder insignia? It seems to be a very common motto used in a multitude of ways, including on a pack of Pall Mall's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My momma always said, if you want something done right, do it yourself. lol. I found the last piece that was unidentified. It is from the United States Air Force Academy. Graduating class of 1966.
Class Facts | US Air Force Academy AOG & Endowment

1966.png

Thanks again to all those who replied. I can green check this thing now.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back