artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been hunting the 1820's farmhouse for a few weeks. Here are a few things that I've dug and not been able to identify. I apologize for the quality of the photos. I'm having trouble getting my camera to focus and thinking it might be time to upgrade! The first item is obviously a clip..garter, suspender, overall? Any idea as to age? The 4th item has the raised letters "WA" I was thinking a part of a printing plate?

Attachments

• Clip I.JPG
    Clip I.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 103
  • Don't know.JPG
    Don't know.JPG
    430.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Sprocket.JPG
    Sprocket.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 98
  • WA.JPG
    WA.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 93
  • Sprocket IV.JPG
    Sprocket IV.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
pic # 2 is a pin. there still common use and are called anything from a "hitch pen" to a "swivel pin".
they are made in all sizes and all shapes to hold 2 items together so they can move and be quickly undone .

th.jpeg

Upvote 0
i know i have seen the first item IDed on here many times so some one should know for sure,, but it was either a garter belt clip or corset clip.

Upvote 0
Pic #3 & 5 are the top of an umbrella or parasol.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Mical66's recollection is correct, the first object is definitely a garter clip/buckle. See images below for confirmation. That particular shape of garter buckle/clip was first patented in 1895. As the Lindsay Garter and Boston Garter photos below show, there are minor variations in the shape, due to being made by different manufacturers.

Attachments

• garter-buckle_1895-Patent_advertizement_TN_scanbyDaroofa_Lindsay.jpg
    garter-buckle_1895-Patent_advertizement_TN_scanbyDaroofa_Lindsay.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 84
  • garter-buckle_1895-patent_Boston-Garter_TN_photobyTrillathahunt_DSCN1659.jpg
    garter-buckle_1895-patent_Boston-Garter_TN_photobyTrillathahunt_DSCN1659.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 90
  • garter-buckle_1895-Patent_TN_photobyBornFree.jpg
    garter-buckle_1895-Patent_TN_photobyBornFree.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
...the slide actually :thumbsup:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/321303-brass-parasol-slides-i-just-don-t-see.html

The last item is a piece of bar lead,which early on was used for the casting of bullets and reparing tin,to later used on all kinds of things including solder for pipe

Thanks for the lead bar ID. I really didn't think that anyone would get that one! I remember the parasol slide post from not too long ago. I also thought when I dug mine that it looked familiar!!

Upvote 0
here is a pic of another
lead strip.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back