A few items

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
Found the first and second objects at an older site near Mobile, Al. The first object is probably copper and was crushed. I think originally it was shaped like the end of a bat. What was the purpose of the folds (flexibility)? The small end is squared off and straight so it probably didn't break off from a larger piece. Weighs 6.9 g

The second lead object has a 3/16" hole down the middle and is probably a weight from a fishing net. What's unusal are the straight cut lines. First thought was that the lines were made by a knife while cutting fishing line but the lines are all parallel except for one? Weighs 2.8 oz

Found the old Carigas gas-can top at an early boy scout camp. It's fairly thick, made of brass, and has fine threads. This must have been a heavy duty gas-can. I thought it was interesting in that many old objects were really well made.
http://cgi.ebay.com.hk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380069513861&ih=025&category=35682

HH

Attachments

• DSCN1791.JPG
    DSCN1791.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 438
  • DSCN1793.JPG
    DSCN1793.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCN1784.JPG
    DSCN1784.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 440
  • DSCN1779.JPG
    DSCN1779.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 443
I wonder if the copper item could be a handle off of something like ...

.. like a letter opener, and the ribs were there for grip. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
I will throw out a wild guess on the first item. I have seen items similar that were used to carry a spare tip for an old type ink pen. I have also see them carry a religous artifact in them. Again just a guess.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back