A few hours out yields nice silver and more Royal Marines

Glen's Loyalists

Jan 7, 2024
So my son and I went out for a few hours this morning. Mainly to look for my root clippers, which I had left on our last hunt.
We didn't find those of course and for about 2 hours got nothing but big deep iron buried well beneath roots, that was insisting on sounding good on both our Deus and our Fisher. It was a bit frustrating.

As we were getting ready to leave we got 4 keepers in quick succession:

Here is a really nice little broach. Only an inch and a quarter long, The Hallmarks are Birmingham, 1912, I believe. The maker, JA&S should be J Aitkin & Son who were active in Birmingham from 1903 to 1918.

IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3277.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg

Our other bit of silver was a 1943 quarter. We don't get a lot of George VI silver so this was a pleasant find.

IMG_3287.jpg
IMG_3288.jpg

Also got another Royal Marines button. My second off this field and the only ones I have found to date. This one has a back mark of Hammond Turner & Dickinson, so this would date the button from 1792 to the 1820's. I found a website on this manufacturer, www.hammond-turner.com, it's a great resource for those interested in British Buttons. As it does not say Royal Marines, I am guessing it is closer to 1792. Lots of silver remaining on this one:

IMG_3289.jpg
IMG_3290.jpg

An finally the ubiquitous 1859 Canada One Cent. The highest mintage Canadian coin up until the first world war. The 1858 and 1859 cents are thinner than the later ones and do not hold up well in the ground (1% zinc), and this one was no different: It came out of the well drained ground well and round and I could see very nice detail.

IMG_3265.jpg

Within seconds the edges started crumbling away

IMG_3266.jpg

I got it right into some oil and left it to soak for a few hours then removed it for some very gentle cleaning with the edge of a toothpick to remove the dirt, and it crumbled away in my hand.

IMG_3292.jpg
IMG_3293.jpg

Oh well.

Upvote 14
So my son and I went out for a few hours this morning. Mainly to look for my root clippers, which I had left on our last hunt.
We didn't find those of course and for about 2 hours got nothing but big deep iron buried well beneath roots, that was insisting on sounding good on both our Deus and our Fisher. It was a bit frustrating.

Here is a really nice little broach. Only an inch and a quarter long, The Hallmarks are Birmingham, 1912, I believe. The maker, JA&S should be J Aitkin & Son who were active in Birmingham from 1903 to 1918.

View attachment 2168907

View attachment 2168908

View attachment 2168940

Our other bit of silver was a 1943 quarter. We don't get a lot of George VI silver so this was a pleasant find.

View attachment 2168915 View attachment 2168916

Also got another Royal Marines button. My second off this field and the only ones I have found to date. This one has a back mark of Hammond Turner & Dickinson, so this would date the button from 1792 to the 1820's. I found a website on this manufacturer, www.hammond-turner.com, it's a great resource for those interested in British Buttons. As it does not say Royal Marines, I am guessing it is closer to 1792. Lots of silver remaining on this one:

View attachment 2168920View attachment 2168921

An finally the ubiquitous 1859 Canada One Cent. The highest mintage Canadian coin up until the first world war. The 1858 and 1859 cents are thinner than the later ones and do not hold up well in the ground (1% zinc), and this one was no different: It came out of the well drained ground well and round and I could see very nice detail.

View attachment 2168926

View attachment 2168925

I got it right into some oil and left it to soak for a few hours then removed it for some very gentle cleaning with the edge of a toothpick to remove the dirt, and it crumbled away in my hand.

View attachment 2168938 View attachment 2168939

Oh well.
Great finds, the little broach is so sweet!

View attachment 2168907

View attachment 2168908

View attachment 2168940

View attachment 2168926

View attachment 2168925

Oh well.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

View attachment 2168907

View attachment 2168908

View attachment 2168940

View attachment 2168926

View attachment 2168925

Oh well.
the broach is a very nice piece and good saves all the way around, gratz on a fun hunt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back