A curious stone ... any ideas?

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a rock my father-in-law dug while shellfishing in about 10 feet of water off the coast of Rhode Island. He kept the rock due to the curious looking hole, the squared edge, and the marks on its face that makes it look like it has been worked a bit. The stone is about 1/2 inch think and solid feeling (most stones are, I suppose). The hole is somewhat conical (countersunk) and has what looks like a worn groove on the edge (from a cord or rope?). I was thinking this might be a Native American fishing net weight, but was hoping to get some other opinions. (Also, if you turn the picture upside down, it sort of has the shape of an axe.) What do you think? Is it just a naturally formed object or could it be a Native American or colonial artifact. If it is a Native American or colonial artifact, how were they able to drill a hole in stone and how old would something like this typically be?

Any insights would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Indian stone.JPG
    Indian stone.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 472
  • Indian stone.JPG
    Indian stone.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 412
Upvote 0
The hole definitely looks be drilled and not natural, so that makes it a man made item. My guess is it was a Gorget at one time and has just been broken up by the being in the water for a long period of time.

Thanks for the comments and insights. I hadn't thought of a gorget. I will explore that possibility further.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back