A couple finds from today. Civil war bullet?

Dr Plugs

May 30, 2023
Got out a bit thismorning, the first spot is a beautiful colonial house yard, a stone on the top of the house by the gable has 1727 carved into it, wasn't thinking it was that old but the area definitely is so maybe the house is one of the firsts.

It turned out to be a dud of sorts, must have been hamered before, the only old finds was a iron shoe buckle and 1 brittish copper. The yard was very quiet. 2nd spot was a place we have detected many times before, and always produces a few finds each time with the grass being extremely high right now makes it tough.

The 2 finds for today was a 1857 flying eagle cent, and a bullet, many items from the civil war timeframe have been foun here, the bullet was found a few feet from the flying eagle cent, but just looks different to me from other 3 ring bullets I have found. What do you guys think? Seems bigger?/

Attachments

• 20240903_121356.jpg
    20240903_121356.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 51
  • 20240903_155348.jpg
    20240903_155348.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 20240903_155354.jpg
    20240903_155354.jpg
    806 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 16
Got out a bit thismorning, the first spot is a beautiful colonial house yard, a stone on the top of the house by the gable has 1727 carved into it, wasn't thinking it was that old but the area definitely is so maybe the house is one of the firsts.

It turned out to be a dud of sorts, must have been hamered before, the only old finds was a iron shoe buckle and 1 brittish copper. The yard was very quiet. 2nd spot was a place we have detected many times before, and always produces a few finds each time with the grass being extremely high right now makes it tough.

The 2 finds for today was a 1857 flying eagle cent, and a bullet, many items from the civil war timeframe have been foun here, the bullet was found a few feet from the flying eagle cent, but just looks different to me from other 3 ring bullets I have found. What do you guys think? Seems bigger?/
Here is the house from the first spot, beautiful place! Noone lives there at this time, great shape but needs work.

Attachments

• 20240826_131925.jpg
    20240826_131925.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20240826_132028.jpg
    20240826_132028.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
Thank you for the pictures of the house. What a beauty! I see the 1727 on the gable. The rock work is classic. I notice that there appears to be a different type on the front from the back. The stones are fitted closely on the front with a mortar seam between them. The rocks on the back seem to be stuck into masonry, with much larger gaps between them. A stone house similar to this is in a nearby historical village, and I visit it every year. It just reeks of wonderful age, like yours also seems to.
The hollow base and diameter of the bullet should allow an expert to ID it.

In the first pic of the mini ball, is the side closest to the camera “flat”? Also the nose of that bullet looks unique to me…..seems layered. I think the base is called a star or 5- point? Very good looking bullet…. Nice job

Yes Civil War, made by Union arsenals. This bullet was pressed and then turned by the spoke marks in the cavity, often referred as a swage bullet.

In the first pic of the mini ball, is the side closest to the camera “flat”? Also the nose of that bullet looks unique to me…..seems layered. I think the base is called a star or 5- point? Very good looking bullet…. Nice job
No, the bullet is perfect, no flat sides to it. And yes, the tip is also what threw me off.

Yes Civil War, made by Union arsenals. This bullet was pressed and then turned by the spoke marks in the cavity, often referred as a swage bullet.
Thank you. I was 99% sure it was, just something looked different about the tip.

No, the bullet is perfect, no flat sides to it. And yes, the tip is also what threw me off.
Looks flat in this pic on the rings, and a bit in the pic where youre showing the cavity. Recently learned from the cannonball guy that the slight flatness can be caused by roughhandling/dropping the cases/boxes of rounds……not saying that’s what happened here. Could have happened when the top ring got scarred……unless this is a byproduct of the swaging process.

Attachments

• IMG_3242.jpeg
    IMG_3242.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Swage base, nice find

Nice going . It sure looks like one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back