Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: Cleaning is not doing much. A couple more lines showed up on one side near the trigger. Part of design I suppose. Shows a bit more of the structure. The front view seems to indicate a flint/black powder type. (Just a guess). The number on the butt does appear it could be a model number. Here's some new pics, but I'm guessing this one will just remain a bit of a mystery. :dontknow:

What else would one call a three ring day? ;)

Here's the overall:

ALL.JPG

Dunno what the link looking thingy is but it's made in England. :)

ENGLISH.JPG

A '47 wheatie.

47WHEATIE.JPG

Anyway, the first ring: rung up as 42.

RING1.JPG

RING2.JPG

Turns out to be a "Best Friends Forever" charm of some sort. Strike one.

Next one rang out at 85.

RING4.JPG

RING5.JPG

RING6.JPG

RING7.JPG

Turned out to be 18k HGE. Stone, pretty trashed. Strike two.

This third one was interesting. You see, this place is known and has been hit over the years many times. So, I kind of start wondering how can targets like this get missed. I searched right around the hole and sure enough, got another signal just inches away. It only rang in at about 60 for some reason. I figured, AHA! Another one depending too much on discrimination! They hit this pull tab/ can slaw and skipped right over the ring.

I dug anyway. Where the pointer's tip is on the ground is exactly where the 2nd ring came from, but, a bit of a shock when I dug.

RING8.JPG
RING9.JPG
RING10.JPG
RING11.JPG
RING12.JPG
RING13.JPG
RING14.JPG

So much for my theories. LOL

However, this was also just 18 HGE. It has a couple diamond looking stones in the side but the thing I liked is the big yellow stone. It is hardly marked and is very, very pretty!

RINGS.JPG

AND!

There was this find that I find VERY interesting! It was down about 9 inches in this field that dates back to the early 1800's. It appears to be a gun BUT, it is not magnetic! I don't know much about guns but I thought they were all made from iron/steel. If the pictures don't show it, there appears to be a bit of green patina. Copper? Brass? experiment of an alloy?

You gun experts will know better than I.

GUN1.jpg
GUN2.jpg
GUN3.jpg

Now, the kicker! This "gun" has what appears to be a date on the butt.

GUNDATE1.jpg
GUNDATE2.jpg
GUNDATE3.jpg

Sorry, that's the best I could do.

For the size of this thing it truly is fairly substantial. It weighs in at almost half a pound.

So, whatcha think? A child's toy from back then? A prototype? Maybe they tried making a new alloy and it blew up! LOL :)

Thanks for taking a peek.

Interesting day!

HH!

Attachments

• IMGA1760.JPG
    IMGA1760.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMGA1759.JPG
    IMGA1759.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMGA1758.JPG
    IMGA1758.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMGA1757.JPG
    IMGA1757.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMGA1756.JPG
    IMGA1756.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMGA1761.JPG
    IMGA1761.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Upvote 5
wow WTG keep up the good work and my ring baring grounds i wondered the same thing. ive come to the conclusion that either A. no one else in my town MDs or B. they dont know what they are doing.

Since you found boy scout items, I would say that link item is a tent rope tensioner.

The gun is a pretty awesome find. If it was cleaned up a bit more maybe you could find other markings.

Cool finds. :icon_thumleft:

Since you found boy scout items, I would say that link item is a tent rope tensioner.

The gun is a pretty awesome find. If it was cleaned up a bit more maybe you could find other markings.

Cool finds. :icon_thumleft:

Well, yeah, it might have other markings but I have no idea what to even start trying to clean up. Not even sure of the metal type.

:dontknow:

Looks like a great day out to me! congrats on the rings

Way cool finds.....WOW.....you now have official "BOY DOG" status in my book.:icon_thumleft:

Awesome, that gun butt is very interesting......I'm pulling up a chair!:happy1:

I'm afraid you'll need two chairs. Ya see, I'm at my limit. I don't know enough about guns to even begin to extrapolate. Afraid this will have to be up to the experts. I'm open to suggestion. :)

Thanks!
HH!

pistol.jpgThe pistol frame is brass ,looks like a derringer similar to this one . The number is a serial number.

View attachment 677629The pistol frame is brass ,looks like a derringer similar to this one . The number is a serial number.

Do you have any pics of a serial number view?

Sure looks like the same to me, but I know nothing about guns. :dontknow:

What is the name? What time frame?

Thanks!
HH!

Last edited:
Man you hit pay dirt.very nice.

It looks like the gun has been as identified as it's gonna be. Oh well, still fun find and a fun day.

Thanks for all the responses!

HH!

Your pistol is actually an early pocket revolver rather than a swing break derringer. If you look at the fourth photo you can see the hole where the cylinder pin would have been, and notice that the edges are folded over. If those edges were straightened out they would be round rather than flat. It looks almost intentionally destroyed with those big hack marks on it... Was it found in an area that was plowed at one time? Or near a road maybe?

Here's a pic of a similar one:

Attachments

• 11083425_1.jpg
    11083425_1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back