Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A china or pottery challenge. More photo's

Here at the museum in Louisiana we get all kinds of things donated from estates. Most of the time I have little trouble ID'ing them.
I am stumped on this one. Any help age wise or type or origin will be greatly appreciated. It is about 4 inches high. There is an applied overlay on it. There is a pitcher or chocolate pot as they are sometimes called with it of the same design..It has no maker mark's on it at all. . (and yes I know its a
pitcher with a chicken or rooster on it.) Thank you in advance. I really need details about it.
DG

Attachments

• Nov-08-photos 033.JPG
    Nov-08-photos 033.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 289
  • Nov-08-photos 034.JPG
    Nov-08-photos 034.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 303
  • Nov-08-photos 035.JPG
    Nov-08-photos 035.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 298
  • Nov-08-photos 036.JPG
    Nov-08-photos 036.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 311
  • Nov-08-photos 037.JPG
    Nov-08-photos 037.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 290
Re: A china or pottery challenge.

DG... Are you of the opinion that the original piece was only the painted design and that the overlay was added at a later date/time? It looks as though it was a finished product that someone subsequesntly used for a craft project...

For example, should we be trying to identify the painted design only?

It's an interesting piece.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim said:
DG... Are you of the opinion that the original piece was only the painted design and that the overlay was added at a later date/time? It looks as though it was a finished product that someone subsequesntly used for a craft project...

For example, should we be trying to identify the painted design only?

It's an interesting piece.

I believe it came as is. Nothing added later. Any information would be helpful. maker, design, type, etc.
Then again the overlay could have been placed on it as a secondary market option. It is very well done and I know old, but not how old.
DG

Upvote 0

Its beautiful and I will look...but I do know that Chocolate pots normally came with a lid and matching cups/saucers......There were so many beautiful sets made during the Victorian era and many were not marked.

Upvote 0
Re: A china or pottery challenge. More photo's

Here are photos of matching choclate pot. Aprox 10 inches tall. no marks. I am not much on flowers, but it could be a magnolia under the overlay.only flaws seem to be surface age cracks on bottom.
DG

Attachments

• choc pot 003.JPG
    choc pot 003.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 270
  • choc pot 001.JPG
    choc pot 001.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 235
  • choc pot 005.JPG
    choc pot 005.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 264
  • choc pot 004.JPG
    choc pot 004.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 261
Upvote 0

Hey DG,

Call or email Jon Lambert, the owner/operator at the Mebane Antique Auction in North Carolina. He deals weekly in this type of stuff and has been doing so for many many years. There is not much that has not come through his auction house. I would bet you a dollar to a donut that he has seen this piece before or can put you on the right track. I have seen similar at his auction and there is a particular name for this type of glass but I can't come up with it.

His website is www.mebaneauction.com

Also check this piece titled moriage with no markings at another auction site. Very similar deco.

www.aspireauctions.com/auction23/3771.html

I believe Just Geese may be right on with the Moriage. Nippon Moriage would be my guess right now also.

Good Luck.

DaChief

Upvote 0

Any imported item had to have country of origin stamped on it under the Mc Kinley act (1890's?). The first chocolate pots were from Europe, "Germany". The Japanese copied a lot of pottery to sell on the American and European market and they were prone to over decorate. So..If there is some wear on the bottom from, sliding around on shelves, I would say that they are oriental copies of German pots made before 1890. Still very nice pieces. If there is no wear on the bottoms they are probably bootleg pieces from the 1950's/60's.

Upvote 0

All the other moriage has meaning... a pattern, some style, it's flows - these pieces have the decoration over flowers?

Nothing goes... It's curious.

Upvote 0

Looks like something that would go with a wash stand but I can't remember the name for them Ewer comes to mind but ? Monty

Upvote 0
DG, what you have is a moriage nippon. and most are not marked on the bottom. Glad I opened up you thread, it is a sweet little thing. I would have to inspect it further to give you value $ on it, for any missing beads, cracks etc. Usually the taller it is the more greater the value. From what I can see it looks like a younger potter made it. I have several hat are more refined, exact as in the hands of a skilled potter. But keep it, and treasure it, it is sweet.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back