Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd post a few odds and ends.
I've made guesses indicated in the filenames.
The Brass "T" is something I've found a few of before. They seem old but can't figure what they were.
The front of the buckle shows in the bottom left of the group pic.
I'm not as interested in finding out exactly what these are, but rather an approximate age period. I'm trying to date a section of ground.

If any can help good, if not, enjoy the peek anyway. :)

Thanks!
HH!

Attachments

• BUCKLE1.JPG
    BUCKLE1.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 85
  • BUCKLE2.JPG
    BUCKLE2.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 96
  • SHELLS.JPG
    SHELLS.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 86
  • BRASS_T.JPG
    BRASS_T.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 96
  • GUNPART1.JPG
    GUNPART1.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 89
  • GUNPART2.JPG
    GUNPART2.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 78
The small brass ring with a short stem on opposite sides of the ring is a broken winding key for a pocketwatch. Key-wound pocketwatches date from long before the civil war until a bit after. Stem-wound pocketwatches then superceded the key-wound version.

Need precise measurements of the diameter of the tube section of the bullet casings, just above the base-rim..

Also, need close-up photos showing the flat bottom of the casings. They usually (but not always) have markings which can help for ID and dating them.

Upvote 0
The little knobby-threaded thing is a bottom finial off of an old door hinge.

Upvote 0
The bullet next to the "6" on the ruler, I believe is a .22 rimfire. Measure the length of the case excluding the bullet itself and we can figure out if it is a .22 short, .22 long or .22 long rifle.

Upvote 0
The small brass ring with a short stem on opposite sides of the ring is a broken winding key for a pocketwatch. Key-wound pocketwatches date from long before the civil war until a bit after. Stem-wound pocketwatches then superceded the key-wound version.

Need precise measurements of the diameter of the tube section of the bullet casings, just above the base-rim..

Also, need close-up photos showing the flat bottom of the casings. They usually (but not always) have markings which can help for ID and dating them.

I'm afraid this is as precise as I can do. :dontknow: LOL
At least some were readable from the bottom.
Also, I threw on a new one, found today.
This place seems to have a LOT of shells and bullets around and they are sooooo different! :)

Thanks

Attachments

• IMGA2248.JPG
    IMGA2248.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMGA2249.JPG
    IMGA2249.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMGA2250.JPG
    IMGA2250.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMGA2251.JPG
    IMGA2251.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 0
First photo shows a casing for the .303 Savage 99 Rifle. That casing was developed in 1894 and popular through the 1930s. You can read more about it here: .303 Savage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Second is a casing for a .38 pistol. Can't see enough of the markings to tell you much more than that. Interestingly, all the .38 pistol casings I can find photos of have the "38" mark in the lower markings, but on yours it's in the upper marking area. Perhaps somebody else here will have the answer.

Third is a rimfire casing, and looks to be for a .44 caliber rifle. Having the imprint of a single firing-pin rather than a double pin, it wasn't fired in a Henry rifle. It might be from a .44 Ballard rifle ...but there are other possibilities. Remember, I asked for the diameter of the casing's tube just above its base-rim. Without knowing casing-tube's measurement, I have to say it could be a .42 Wesson Rifle casing.

Fourth looks to be a .32 pistol casing. But I really need the tube measurement, because the lower set of markings says "Hornet," and the only REM-UMC Hornet bullet I can find a listing for is a .22 caliber rifle bullet. The upper set, saying REM-UMC, stands for the Remington - Union Manufacturing Company (a hybrid of two manufacturers, who became one company in 1912). So that's the oldest this casing can be, and may be much younger than that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back