silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A brass whatsit from an early 1800's site

I found this brass whatsit on a site where settlers coming thru this area camped in the very early to mid 1800's. Have found loads of flat buttons and a few coins on the site, some CW relics and etc.. This piece has me puzzled. It feels like a handle from something and my pointer finger and thumb fit it a lot like they would the handle from a coffee mug. The shape, with the little ball, have me scratching my head. Anyone have any ideas??

Attachments

• IMG_1923[1].JPG
    IMG_1923[1].JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1924[1].JPG
    IMG_1924[1].JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1925[1].JPG
    IMG_1925[1].JPG
    68 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1926[1].JPG
    IMG_1926[1].JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1927[2].JPG
    IMG_1927[2].JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 103
The buckle looking piece is part of a boot spur...maybe the other piece has something to do with a spur.

Upvote 0
Do those two pieces go together?
The spur part and the mystery piece come from two different sites several miles apart but.....they wouldn't fit together in any case. The mystery piece is quite a bit heavier/thicker than spurs. Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0
Kind of looks like a coat hook that has been bent.:dontknow:
Definitely not part of a coat hook and it genuinely appears as if it has not been bent accidently but rather manufactured in this shape for some use. I just wish I knew what for......

Upvote 0
Looks like a old broken three wheeler clutch or brake handle to me! :)

image-1696178499.jpg

Upvote 0
Rein guide as in part of a horse harness. Leather straps passed thru these to the horse bit.

Upvote 0
Um no.....not unless they had them a hundred years ago on something horse driven....lol. Looks similar but I'm thinking that it was a rein guide. Thanks for the input.

I have found clad and pop tops buried among and sometimes deeper than colonial artifacts in foundations. Don't ever rule out the possibility of finding modern relics among older relics. With that said, I do think what you found is much older than a brake handle.

Upvote 0
Looks like a hook off the end of a wiffle tree. I just happen to have one hanging on my old smoke house for decoration. Obviously there have been many different styles used over the years and it's not an exact match.

Attachments

• IMG_1553.JPG
    IMG_1553.JPG
    399.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Upvote 0
maybe a bent leg off a fireplace andiron?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back