✅ SOLVED A brass thing

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this brass thing in the bank of a creek. It has a octagonal fixture with a strange symbol on it. It appears to be gilded on the inside.
20190908_173542.jpg20190908_173533.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe some more views? Might help...

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure this is the top portion from a candlestick holder. :icon_scratch:
They were removable so they could be cleaned of the wax drippings

You get the general idea here in this pic.
Dave

Attachments

• metal-candlestick-image-0-candle-cup-inserts-uk-2-vintage-brass-ribbed-pillars.jpg
    metal-candlestick-image-0-candle-cup-inserts-uk-2-vintage-brass-ribbed-pillars.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 53
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure this is the top portion from a candlestick holder. :icon_scratch:
They were removable so they could be cleaned of the wax drippings

You get the general idea here in this pic.
Dave

That would make sense considering there is only gilding on the inside. What about the symbol though? That would be on the inside of the candlestick.

Upvote 0
Bottom of a wind chime clapper?

Upvote 0
That would make sense considering there is only gilding on the inside. What about the symbol though? That would be on the inside of the candlestick.

It's simply a makers mark, the Victorians (British & American) were very proud of what they produced. :thumbsup:
Placing the mark on the inside is actually a good spot to put it, because you'd see it every time you washed it out.

Dave

Upvote 0
Maybe to top of a bottle from grandma's Nécessaire de Voyage (Travel toiletry set). Early 20th C.

98_12b.jpg

Upvote 0
The logo on it is Colgate and Co. it's the top of some sort of tin or tube. The octagonal piece is the actual cap and would be the part that threads off. Early 1900's is my guess

Upvote 0
Good call, NOLA_Ken.

Very likely Colgate Dental Powder.
Circa early 1900's.

Colgate.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back