pistol-pete

Nov 4, 2012
Custer County, CO. at 9300 Ft.
Detector(s) used
1970 Garrett Hunter, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Blacksmith's Tool? I think

Found this yesterday in this old mining camp. Think it is a tool that fits in the hole in an anvil to form metal in some way?
The top part measures 3.125 x 2.25" x 1" thick. The shank is 7/8" square and 3.750" long. Would sure be interesting to know more about it!!
Hope some of you experts can shed more light on it??? IMG_0786.JPGIMG_0787.JPG

My guess is the bottom half of a hand cable splicing tool (to crimp the ferrow on high voltage, wench, etc.

Upvote 0
I think it's a hardy for an anvil

Upvote 0
lol. These are vintage swedging tools:

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    1.8 KB · Views: 201
  • images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    2.2 KB · Views: 210
  • images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 183
Upvote 0
I think it's a swaging tool, the half that fits into the square hardy hole in the anvil, and the top half of the tool could be used to make a square bar round, or depending on the top swage, some other shape depending on the top tool that would have looked something like the picture I'm posting. The blacksmith would hold the top swedege, and the striker would hit it with a hammer. We don't know enough about what you have, but it could have been used to start a pipe or gun barrel, or to make a square bar round. Hope this make sense, I'm having trouble trying to describe what I'm trying to explain.
5.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This might be a better picture, showing the top and bottom swage, and the finished project, which is a handle for a poker etc.
5A.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back