billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw a single, solitary ad last night about a Thursday Garage Sale that is 4 miles from home.... At 5:45 this morning I rolled over and told myself, "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained." My wife also has a Dr.'s appointment near Noon, so after a bit of early breakfast, I came in and told her I was going to go check-out this sale and I'd be right back....

Got there about 7:15 and a male dealer was already stacking things.

I asked the owner about costume jewelry and the lady said "I think I have a box right here." ...18" away from the dealer's wrist.

About 10" by 12" and rather deep, after opening both scuffed doors, the lady couldn't get one long bottom drawer open and one only about an inch. I managed to get a shorter drawer open.... When I saw just the rings, I pushed the drawer shut and asked what she'd take for the whole jewelry box and all.... My pulse began to buzz as I forced myself to slow my breathing. With unknowns surely hidden behind what I could see, she could have said "Fifty Dollars", and I'd sprung my wrist going after my wallet....

She paused, and when she said "That's my mother's old jewelry... I'll take Five Dollars". The dealer jerked around as I said, "OKAY, I'll take it!!" The dealer began using his 'bugger finger' to slide through the narrow opening and pick at the things in the bottom drawer as I paid the kind lady.

I reached over and as I gripped the top, I said, "I'll need to close this up and get to looking around." Feeling like there was surely a bowling ball hidden inside, I sat it in full view just outside the garage door. He moaned, shook his head sideways, and muttered, " I didn't even see that all the time I was looking around!"

I spent another $13 for both a long-drop wooden wall clock and a 20"x20" decorative metal wall sculpture that will look great on a garden gate. Waiting for my change, there was a sudden squeal of dry brakes, a second Dealer that sells on Ebay drove up. It's the lady that drives like a "Bat out of Heaven" and her van has shown dents and creases from her garage sale arrivals and departures. She went right to the jewelry box I'd set outside. As she bent over to open it, I said in a rather musical voice, "Morning Ma'am, I've already paid for that." She just grunted and never looked up. Within 2 minutes she had already gotten back in her minivan, and true to form, she roared away....

The jewelry box drawers wouldn't open because every drawer had vintage costume jewelry with 'clip-on and ear screw earrings' and two 1940's-50's lady's wristwatches..... For $5, there was no silver. But instead of a Lollypop for being a good girl at the Doctor's office today, in advance, there was a cold Coke and hot McDonald's bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits. and this jewelry find when my wife of 44 years waked up this morning....

For taking her to the doctor's office, and a $5 bill, this was my reward.....

4.5 grams of 10kt ($ 71.00)
5.5 grams of 14kt ($122.00)
1--14kt gold lady's watch (?)

Bill

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    550.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    628.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    584.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    351.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Great score! And good job irritating the picker/ dealer ( even though I am one too!) does the watch work or a scrap piece? Finding something like that makes ya wake up early the next time too! Thanks for sharing.

The old lady that drives like a crazy bat, have you posted about her before? Or some one else. That's funny as heck. I can picture that and it makes me laugh pretty hard!!

Great score! And good job irritating the picker/ dealer ( even though I am one too!) does the watch work or a scrap piece? Finding something like that makes ya wake up early the next time too! Thanks for sharing.

The old lady that drives like a crazy bat, have you posted about her before? Or some one else. That's funny as heck. I can picture that and it makes me laugh pretty hard!!

Beachkid,

The watch doesn't seem to wind, so it will go for scrap. On the dial is stamped "Traditions" and "17 Jewels and Swiss made".

Yes, it's the same lady. There have been worse guys and women than her, but she is the most tenacious of all the local dealers. If she's ahead of you because of her "dash mounted address finder", it's her blinding speed that seems to get her to the next closest garage sale. It's akin to Star Trek's "Beam me Up to the next garage sale, Scotty".... One day last season, the two of us arrived at the same sale, when there wasn't much there, I left first, but in the rearview mirror I saw her headlights flashing and bouncing as she hit the intersections' drainage dips at speeds not meant for a low slung minivan. In town, she couldn't pass me, so she turned off, and went one block over. At each block, I began seeing she'd caught up with me and then all I was seeing was her tail lights on her street as I enter the same block intersection on the my street.... O.C.D. I think.... She never looked back as got to the next sale and was heading to the money box table as I pulled up...

However, early April's encounter with this same lady was a Boomerang...and Karma Flowed Like Honey... On an early Saturday morning, she'd gotten to a small estate sale as we had stopped at two other sales before getting to this one. As she lower the back hatch, she stopped and told me, "There's a tool sale out in the country, I just came from there and they have a lot of old stuff. Since I don't collect old tools (wrong), I didn't buy anything." Even though I'd read the ad, and initially disregarded it because of how far it was, to my wife, It Seemed like a very nice gesture from her.....

What she was doing was sending me off to somewhere she'd already "Picked", and also, that way I wouldn't be going to any of "Her" town garage sales.... But, because there were only two listed sales left, and I do like old tools, my wife and I went out there anyway. That was the place I bought the $4, "Jay Sharp" cross pein Farrier hammer that sold a few weeks ago on Ebay for $375.00... :hello: If she only knew... :hello:

Bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back