90% Silver Dollar!

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
On Saturday morning I did some bank hunting. Things started out bad. The first eight banks produced no keepers ... and few halves. I kept thinking, "it's like I'm asking for Ikes!" The ninth bank produced one 40% half. Things continued on slowly until the 16th bank. I saw some silver halves in the teller's tray. I asked for them and any others. She let me buy those and said that she had some others. I saw they were large dollars and when I saw one had a silver edge I immediately said I'd buy them too. When I got in my car I realized what I bought, a 1986S Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island Commemorative Dollar. It's a bit heavier than an Ike and it is 90% silver! My goal for the year was to find one silver dollar. I would have settled for a 40% Ike, but I'll take this one any day. The 18 banks I hunted turned up 310 halves that produced three 90% silver halves (3 x 1964), nine 40% silver halves (2 x 1966, 2 x 1967, 5 x 1968D), 14 Ikes and the silver dollar.

The number of halves I found was very poor compared to me other Saturday bank runs. The silver dollar sure made up for it!

Happy Hunting!

Brian

Attachments

• ag_dollar1.JPG
    ag_dollar1.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 358
Upvote 0
Great find! Congratulations!

Do you usually hit that many banks on a Saturday? Around here, most banks are closed then or only have the drive-up open.

Most banks here are open 9-12 or 9-1 on Saturdays. I try to do at least a dozen, sometimes as many as 17. The weekdays are better as there are less people and they have more time to deal with me, but work gets in the way.

Brian

congratulations... Nice find. Mine was a half dollar.

Cat

Mucho kudos there K !

Your persistence paid off. But, wow, 16 banks on a Saturday. With the shorter hours, you've got to be really moving. 8)

Again, nice find on the SOL (90%er) comm dollar !

I've found four of the SOL halves, and they are very nice finds; but alas, they are CuNi.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back