"9.27" Solid Silver Box and Ring (not .927) Must have been a screw up.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"9.27" Solid Silver Box and Ring (not .927) Must have been a screw up.

Found a new spot the other day. The design on the box is pretty cool. Of course there was nothing in it!(my luck). But a couple feet away I found this silver ring also! Design on ring is small hearts. Will be hitting this place again. (Seated is the 1859 quarter I found a few weeks ago. Put it in for scale) Bottom of the box is bent up from scanner so it looks like it's plated but it's NOT.All I seem to find is plated stuff so when I first saw it I was skeptical myself til I cleaned it up. It is black on the bottom as silver turns that way from being in the ground. I guess the silversmith had dislexia.( hope I spelled it right). This thing is pretty old and is marked "9.27" not".927" in old script. (Thanks to Smokedaddy for his good eyes). Is this an error box? :tard:(hehehe) The ring, on the other hand is marked sterling and has an Indian in full headdress stamped into it. Anyone know anything about this type of mark?Total weight on the box is 30 grams so just over 1 ounce. HH HOGGE

Attachments

• jn18-001.jpg
    jn18-001.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 583
Upvote 0
Re: Solid Silver Box and Ring

Hogge Man,
I like silver no matter what shape it is in; you did well for sure!
The ring is hard to appreciate from the angle shown; can you do a close up of the outside edge?

What is the background on the place you are hunting? Just curious; nothing sinister for sure.

GRB

It's near where I grew up but found it hunting one day (25 yrs. later!). Never even noticed it and passed by it 100 times before I was into metal detecting. Have a map from 1850 and it is on there. Looked up the mans name, (I forget the name), But he was a farmer that sold strawberries believe it or not. I'm sure he grew other stuff but when I looked up his name it referenced he sold these. (local Library) Pretty cool stuff you can find out about people and site you wanna hunt in a Library.

Nice job there Hogge. I thought I saw some type of markings on the front of that box or are my eyes playing tricks on me ? Nice dig, Thanks for sharing.

smokedaddy said:
Nice job there Hogge. I thought I saw some type of markings on the front of that box or are my eyes playing tricks on me ? Nice dig, Thanks for sharing.
HEY!!! was looking at it upside down! THE DAMN THING SAYS "9. 27" ON TOP ( but in old script). The bottom is too far gone. GOOD EYES!!!!!!! SMOKE DADDY. YOU DA MAN! :thumbsup:

Re: "9.27" Solid Silver Box and Ring (not .927) Must have been a screw up.

Nice stuff Todd!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back