8 Reales Cob, identification needed!!!

Blitz11

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have aquired this coin many years ago, and haven't been able to identify it. Can someone give me pointers?

Here is the coin:
Coin005.jpg

Coin004.jpg

Thank you for your help!

Hello,
I listed two pictures, one of either side! Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks, you are right! I thought for a while, that it was minted at Bogata Mint, but Seville looks good, too!

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, The bezel is marked "18K, Smiths, USA" and the Coin itself is 91,7% & Gold 4.7% Silver and the rest copper per spectrometer (non-invasive) testing, coin is approx. 3cm across, bezel has rubies and sapphires in the four "clamp-holders" (for the lack of a better word) and the bail. On the shield side one can see the entire coin- except for where the four prongs slightly cover the coin. I am contemplating having the coin removed ultra carefully for better grading and identification, but for the present am holding off.

Upvote 0
Doing some more research, its standard weight is 6.76 grams and measures 30mm in diameter.
It was minted between 1566 and 1588. This type has no date.
Don.......
Edit: The assayer was Melchor Damián (shown as a square 'D' below the 'S' mint mark).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have my concerns about the authenticity of the coin. It could be OK, because the obivious alarm bells are not there, but the crispness worries me. Take it to an expert to see it in the hand. Fingers-crossed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back