8 pointed star with British crown

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This was found along an old stone wall in PA, near an old homestead, and an old colonial road, but there was also a house from the 1940's about 1000 feet away that has burned down, so it is hard to date.

2013-04-07_16-39-28_285.jpg2013-04-07_16-39-44_444.jpg

any hole drilled anywhere?reminds me of wind chime piece,very cool.also...any idea of composition?

Upvote 0
It seems to be made of brass. Being a stamp collector, I'm pretty good with the crowns, and they actually go by era, at least on stamps and printed material. Australia, GB, Canada, all have the same crown for each specific British king. So, I *think* this one is Victorian era. At least, if it was a stamp, that's how I'd ID it. I don't know enough about the artifacts though, so the same rules might not apply. Could it be some sort of military badge? Seems to have clips on the back.

Upvote 0
Yeah. I now think its a British military badge. Seen some on eBay(that doesn't say much!) but it's a start.

Upvote 0
I would try more in the metropolitan police range.. Brittish.. First thing I thought on when I seen it was the old bobby hats...

Attachments

• image-2547603292.jpg
    image-2547603292.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 161
Upvote 0
Where in the US was this found?

Upvote 0
Clips on the back are a later period.....not 18th century. Could be victorian era or later.

Upvote 0
PA, Berks County, in an area that was settled very early. My neighbor has a ton of land with old road beds and old houses on it, both colonial, 1800s, and a few newer houses, all just cellar holes now or abandoned.

Where in the US was this found?

Upvote 0
I need to go back there and hunt more, but was running out of time yesterday. I left some marking tape on the tree I found this closest to so I can go right back to that area. It was maybe 1000 feet away from a 1940s era house that burned down many years ago and is now just a cellar and a chimney, but none of the debris around it was ever cleaned up in any way. All the bricks that fell down are still there, there is stuff from in the house everywhere. I found old metal toothpaste tubes, and parts of pots and pans and stuff. None of it was ever cleaned up. So who knows, maybe a resident of that house had some kind of collection or something and this was part of it.
This is some tough detecting , but I definitely want to go back. I just need to work through it and be patient. The AT Pro is helping, but it is tough to use Iron Audio since there is Sooooo much iron, so I've had to leave it off except to check a target.
There is also a colonial wall there, as this house had bordered on a colonial farm (guy owning the farm now bought up all the land, and wants me to detect it and see what is there), and I was hunting along the wall where I had found a horseshoe piece hoping maybe to find some tack pieces, so when this rang brass on the AT Pro I thought maybe that was what I had.

Upvote 0
any hole drilled anywhere?reminds me of wind chime piece,very cool.also...any idea of composition?

I don't see any holes drilled. It seems to be brass, and has a green patina that might not be as clear in my photos. Just those little clips on the back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Bobby hat....Now that's interesting.....I hadn't seen those.

Upvote 0
Just went through this with as a yet unidentified eight pointed silver star (mine looks like an 8 pointed sheriff's badge) that I cannot see any i.d. on at all. The only other eight pointed star "badges" I could find was old (I believe I remember it saying 1800's) New York Fire Department badges; perhaps volunteer. Can't remember.

Upvote 0
an alternative use may be ornate furnishings etc....stove 1.jpgchest.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back